Default Emperor's soldier used M1 Carbine.

Gentleman. I know it is a long shot but I am following a thread elsewhere about the last Japanese soldier to surrender in WWII. I read the book “The Emperor’s Last Soldiers” many years ago, and I am sure that I read that Masashi Itō carried an M1 Carbine whilst hiding. Can anyone confirm this? My copy of the book is long gone.
    Is it not better to place a question mark upon a problem while seeking an answer than to put the label `God` there and consider the matter closed? Joseph Lewis

After WW2 ended there were many M1 carbines all around the Philippines. Ito and two other soldiers were know to the locals as the three often broken into homes for food and what ever they could use. I could see them stealing a carbine and ammo for it as they were short on ammo for their rifles.

Thanks Tuna. That is logical. Also a darn sight lighter than his issue rifle. I am still trying to confirm my own recolections of his book. It has become an annoying default but almost pointless question that keeps coming to mind.
    Is it not better to place a question mark upon a problem while seeking an answer than to put the label `God` there and consider the matter closed? Joseph Lewis