Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Doug Holdstein, one of our Air Liason Officers, got hold of a CH-46 and flew a bunch of us to Corregidor, which I got to see from the air including the guns and mile long barracks. He then landed on B turret of Fort Drum. Doug was later a pilot of Marine One.

There was an old news writer named O.H. "Karl" King who wrote a really good self published book about his time in the 4th Marines and the PI and his POW experience called THE ALAMO of the PACIFIC.

I spent a day and a half on Corregidor and I was shown around by the son of one of the survivors who had been on the last mortar crew to fire on the Japanese when they came ashore on May 5th. His tour was vastly better than the "canned" tours given to most tourists. The closest I got to Fort Drum was seeing it from Battery Crockett on Corregidor. Had I wanted to wait a little and take a Coast Defense Study Group tour a few weeks later, I might have gotten to go on a couple of the outer islands, one being Carabao (Fort Frank, I believe).

My "guide" for the trip was Bob Hudson, an American ex/pat (and also the son of a March survivor) and he did a wonderful job. We had a banca ride to the southern tip of Bataan where the "Points" fighting took place. We visited Clark Field, Subic Bay Mt. Samat and Fort Wint (located on Grande Island in Subic Bay). This latter trip was special, as the guns currently mounted at Fort Casey, WA, where I conduct tours during the summer, came from there.

I also remember when I went to Subic Bay, my wallet fell out of my pants. It was returned a few minutes later by an honest Filipino who would not take a centavo as reward. I shook his hand and told him how much I respected an honest man.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

GNOAHHH You forgot Balut!
    Last edited by ElWoodman; 01-04-2017 at 11:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    I also remember when I went to Subic Bay, my wallet fell out of my pants. It was returned a few minutes later by an honest Filipino who would not take a centavo as reward. I shook his hand and told him how much I respected an honest man.
    I've been to Subic many times, several of which were during my four years on the USS Ranger. I think you met one of the very few honest men in Subic... truly the exception to the rule there!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo