Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Bataan" M1903s sold by Federal Ordnance eons ago - ad

Some time ago, I posted about some "Bataan" M1903s that had been sold by Federal Ordnance over 25 years ago and sought some input. I was told that they had been imported from the Philippines but had been refinished and totally rebuilt.

On the M1903 Facebook page, someone posted an ad they saw in a 1991 issue of "Man at Arms" Magazine and this was the ad I remember. I saw it in a "pulp" magazine about WWii. The rifle sold for $599 and bayonets at $97.00. I thought the price was $800, but was obviously mistaken.

There was no finish left and my friend John Beard said a couple of parts had been replaced. There were 879 of them and they were sold with the usual "certificate of authenticity" and even a brass plate. Of course, the only thing that was certain was that they came from the Philippines. They could have been left by American troops in 1944-45 or imported at a later time.

However, if any of you happen to know someone who bought one of these and still has one, especially with proof they came from this lot, I would be GREATLY interested!!

"We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

2. Default

I would be happy with a ball of rust '03 dug up outside of Mariveles...

Me too. Actually from anywhere historical lol

I quite agree with the "ball or rust" M1903 (or M1917, M1 or M1911) from Bataan!! The TOP of my collecting list!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default

Let's see- a plane ticket to Manila, car rental/room/food (rice, monkey meat, lizards, etc.: rations for a "Battling Bastard" circa March, 1942), metal detector/shovel, bug repellent...

Been there, done that in January, 2014! IMG_6123 (683x1024).jpg

And if you want to see 350 pictures from the trip (if you need a quick cure from insomnia) follow this link:

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-LrgC8/i-3j7tscz

(PS - I shot 1800 pictures on the trip! )
    --C.S. Lewis

Great pictures Rick. The coast artillery holds great fascination for me. Thanks.

I was a trip of a lifetime ...
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    I was a trip of a lifetime ...
    In 1975 I was in 1st Bn 4th Marines as their Naval Dental officer and we were pretty much in Subic Bay the entire summer after the Vietnam evacuation and Mayaguez recovery. Some bright spark got the idea that 1-4 should reenact the Bataan death march as the unit had certainly done in in 1942. After much date setting and talking about it, higher authority decided, much to my personal relief, that it was not "politically expedient" to do it.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 12-16-2016 at 08:43.

Yes, the 4th definitely does have a "connection", but only a few Marines made the March. Most of the 4th surrendered on Corregidor, about four weeks later. While they did engage in a "March" of sorts through Manila, they were trucked most of the way. I am NOT putting them down - ANYONE who made it through 3-1/2 years as a prisoner of the Japanese deserves (and gets!) my utmost respect!!
    --C.S. Lewis