Thread: Stripper Clips

Default Stripper Clips

This has probably been discussed before, but being a new member I'm allowed a few mistakes.....Is it true that Swedish mauser stripper clips work in an 03 or an 03a3? Going to a gun show Sat and if they will work, I'll try to find some. Unless of course one of the members has some to sell. Thanks..........Randy

Swedish Mauser stripper clips work great in an '03 or '03A3. I use them exclusively in monthly matches without any issues.

The technical answer is that the 6.5x55 clip, being made for a cartridge with a larger base and thicker rim than .30/06, is a somewhat looser fit than the 7x57 Mauser clip, some critical dimensions of which were copied during M1903 design. So while Swedish clips will function in an '03, if you can find the similar clips made for 7mm Mausers (or modern commercial equivalent) the fit with .30/06 cases will be a tad more precise.

The primary difference is the depth of the lips (a) that engage the cartridge rims.

Thanks for the reply,s........................................... .Randy

5. Default

Buy these: https://www.creedmoorsports.com/prod...-by-department They work great and last forever. Get two sets if you're shooting CMP Games matches. I have three loaded for the rapid fire strings. One for the initial load, the second for the reload, and the third is available if the reload doesn't go well.

Is it correct that when using stripper clips when you close the bolt the clip will be 'ejected'?

I use the Swedish clips for both my 03A3 and my Type 99 Arisaka. The work great... but as Parashooter said, they are slightly looser... a problem that became evident during a match last year in which my rounds slipped out of the clip and wound up all over my mat - during a rapid reload (needless to say, I was less than enthused)! If you remove the flat spring and give it a bit of a tweek, it doesn't make them perfect, but it does help a little!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Is it correct that when using stripper clips when you close the bolt the clip will be 'ejected'?
    Seems to me I read somewhere (Brophy, maybe) that the requirement for the clip to be ejected upon the closing of the bolt was eliminated when Remington commenced to make the '03.

I tried that move on an earlier Springfield-made '03, and only succeeded in bending the clip! --Jim

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Yes. Stripper cilip will be pushed out of the receiver by closing the bolt. British Enfields, Mausers (1903s) will "eject" a stripper clip also. Those are the ones I have experience with. Probable most military bolt action rifles were designed to do this. Certainly saves time and omits unnecessary movements, particularly important during combat reloading with these rifles.
    Last edited by bonnie; 12-09-2016 at 06:47.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bonnie View Post
    Yes. Stripper cilip will be pushed out of the receiver by closing the bolt. British Enfields, Mausers (1903s) will "eject" a stripper clip also. Those are the ones I have experience with. Probable most military bolt action rifles were designed to do this. Certainly saves time and omits unnecessary movements, particularly important during combat reloading with these rifles.
    USGI clips eject from my 1903's. I don't have a Rem 03 or A3, so I cannot speak for those.

USGI clips have rounded corners to push the ejector out of the way. Mauser clips do not, so I use USGI clips with one tab remaining and tweak the other end with pliers for a little tension and just be careful in matches
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur