Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60946xx M1

Default 60946xx M1

I recently aquired a 6 mil ser # M1. She is in great shape with a DAS & serif P stamp stock. 65 series YO1 bolt. 65 series op-rod and trigger group. High hump lock.
    SA 10-54 barrel. The strange things....... The serial # is writen in the barrel channel followed by DON. The stock is glass bedded. nice job too. Trigger is better than the average M1. Sights while not "match" sights are tight. No NM stamp on barrel that I can find. Overall a very nice rifle. Anything else I should be looking For?

I'm just curious, but why use 'Xs' in the serial number? The serial number of my SA garand is: 2678193.

Because in the 21st century , why would you broadcast on an open forum, to the entire world, the serial# of your firearm.

But give your Social Security number to anyone you want to establish an account with from the local water company to your insurance agent.

Sounds like a great rifle. Maybe there is a NM on the front of the barrel. Or NM stamped underneath the gas cylinder. On the barrel, under the oprod there might be some odd looking stamps.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

CMP can research rifle for you -It came from CMP

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Because in the 21st century , why would you broadcast on an open forum, to the entire world, the serial# of your firearm.
    So what are they gonna do with my full serial number? It's not a stolen firearm. And nobody can claim it is their long lost firearm!

Stop.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

In the excellent paper written by the Major, on the first early NM marked barrels the NM was closer to the front ring of the gas cylinder for a couple of years, then moved a little farther back to about half way between the rings. It was originally stamped, but this was changed to an engraved NM. He does not indicate the NM would be found anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    But give your Social Security number to anyone you want to establish an account with from the local water company to your insurance agent.
    And why would you give most of these people your SS #. If you have to give it ,you don't put it on a open forum.
    Last edited by swampyankee; 12-09-2016 at 02:55. Reason: edit