Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

I don't know Al Dick. If you get a chance to talk to him, maybe you could bring this thread to his attention.

Done. Every time I look at your pics I see something a little different. It certainly (having gotten past the 'clamp-on' receiver stage) is not an "1866-68", but it really stops a wee bit short of being a "true" 1868, what with all the little quirks. ANY 68/68 is worth getting excited over, but your new one could possibly be unique.

It appears to me that the trigger, trigger guard and screws are armory blued and the lockate and hammer seem to have dark finishes too. The bands and band springs were bright, the barrel and cleaning rod were bright as well as the butt plate. Everything else seems to have been darkened.
    Last edited by Fred; 12-08-2016 at 03:28.

Dick have you ever had the chance to look at rifles number 1 and 8? I'm wondering if they have any features like on this rifle.
    Last edited by Fred; 12-08-2016 at 03:41.

5. Default

Does the cleaning rod screw in like a Second Allin?

6. Default

What does the head of the cleaning rod look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    What does the head of the cleaning rod look like?
    There is a picture of that. Head is cupped, otherwise looks "normal" and the rod has the single-shoulder keeper - however - to MY eye - the head of #6 looks to be smaller in diameter than that of #127. Fred?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Dick have you ever had the chance to look at rifles number 1 and 8? I'm wondering if they have any features like on this rifle.
    No, I have never been to SA (but it's on my bucket list). That is one of the reasons I'd like to hear what Al has to say. He travels the midwestern show circuit - maybe you could meet somewhere?

Not mentioned yet is that the right upper rear of the receiver (adjacent to the "odd" thumblatch notch in the wood) is entirely different as well.

Yea I noticed the difference in the contour at the end that top flat. Very interesting. One rounded and one not.
    Last edited by Fred; 12-08-2016 at 10:17.