Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Possible USMC Rebuild

I originally bought this 03 because of the low serial number. After getting it home I noticed the dimple butt plate. Took it apart for cleaning and vice marks on the barrel. let me know what you think005.jpg007.jpg009.jpg015.jpg019.jpg

Does it have a Hatcher Hole? For a 6/42 barrel, the Marines would have installed the Hatcher Hole as well.

The vise marks are a fuzz different than I've seen before, but I don't know if I would worry about that. I've seen 6/42 SA barrels on Marine rebuilds before.

The bolt does not have the Marine modifications they would have done, when they would have screwed on that barrel, but it could have been swapped sometime later. So I do think the bolt has been swapped at one point.

I would be curious if it has the Hatcher Hole. I'm really betting it does have one. Does it?
    Last edited by cplnorton; 12-02-2016 at 03:33.

3. Default

It has Hatcher hole

Looks good to me !! Any numbers on the bolt ?? Like Steve stated, Marines liked to enlarge the gas escape hole in the earlier bolts they re-used.

Thanks for sharing !!

Emri

5. Default

Hole is still standard. No numbers on bolt. Whats up with the P on the stock? I don't recognize that style or size ?

I figured it would have the Hatcher hole. I really didn't have much of a doubt. But in my opinion, I believe it is a Marine rifle.

That large P. There is some speculation it might actually be Marine. I've heard a few guys that I really respect, say they found evidence of it. So you never know.

7. Default

Does anyone have any ideas about the crown on the barrel. I don't think it was shortened

That large P. There is some speculation it might actually be Marine. I've heard a few guys that I really respect, say they found evidence of it.
    JB stated to me that it is particular to USMC rifles. I have one with the large "P" on it.

Does anyone have any ideas about the crown on the barrel.
    That is the standard flat crown used in the 40's as a time saving option.

HTH,

Emri