Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1943 like new Colt 1911A1 Value

Hi all.... A local gunstore has an early 1943 Colt for sale. It appears to be new, with wrap and tool of some kind. Correct marked magazine. The wrap has a faint 1943 date on it. The gun is matching numbers, and looks all but perfect. The gunstore wants an even $4K for it. Is this in line with current values? I tend to collect 1903s and such, so out of touch with 1911 sales. Thanks much, Steve

Steve, Is that "No89x2x2"? Colt made a lot of pistols in that range and therefore the price seems high to me. I recently purchased No764531 in similar condition without wrapper and tool and paid 2,900. This and a Rem Rand in similar, almost-new condition are so nice that I have no desire to shoot them. I'm sure others more knowledgeable will comment. C

Yup, 898262. I was thinking it was high too, but there isn't much on GB to compare. And like you say, it is only "unfired" once. I have a slightly later Colt, in about 90%, but with stamped trigger and past the serial numbered slide. This new one sure is pretty though!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve(WA) View Post
    Yup, 898262. I was thinking it was high too, but there isn't much on GB to compare. And like you say, it is only "unfired" once. I have a slightly later Colt, in about 90%, but with stamped trigger and past the serial numbered slide. This new one sure is pretty though!
    They were all unfired till the inspector shot it for proof testing. Then he whacked it with a stamp.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Exactly why I put the "unfired" as I did. If you have any contribution to my original question, I would welcome it.

6. Default

The price is slightly high but not out of line for an as new 1943 Colt. On Gunbroker it would bring an easy $3000-$3500, higher if listed by a popular seller.

Thanks Colt Thompson. I was looking at getting it, but don't want to overpay.

The barrel was proofed before it ever went into a pistol. Later the assembled pistol was fired with one proof load. Then it was function fired with seven rounds (1911A1 magazine capacity). After all tests, both function and visual, had been passed it was then stamped with the military acceptance mark.

Thanks Johnny.... wasn't really looking for it's firing history, maybe I shouldn't have said "unfired", seems to have set people off on a tangent. Some guns look like new, maybe haven't been fired since they were proofed, etc. I understand all that. I am looking at buying it at the price I mentioned, and looking to see if that is reasonable price. Like Chaz said, I probably would not shoot it because of it's condition.

I think condition has more to do with price than whether or not it is unfired or "unfired". As stated, I think most collectors realize they were all fired at the factory. But what seems to set this pistol off from others is the overall condition. Based on the photos posted here, it appears to retain about 99% of the finish. So, provided the pistol upon inspection, proves to be original finish, that, and originality should determine value. One has to have a pretty keen eye to be able to determine all the parts are most likely original. "Near new" and "original" are not always the same. Some collectors and sellers like to "improve" things by swapping out barrels and other parts to boost value. But normally, when one does come across a real 99% condition pistol, the likelihood of correct parts having been added is reduced...with the exception of barrels. Some people just have to "improve".

I really don't think the price is all that high, if the gun is all original. What I really think is ridiculous is for someone to pay nearly as much, and sometimes more, for things that aren't nearly new, and often are pieced together. I see people thrilled to spend $2000-2500 for guns I consider $1500 pieces, and yet they won't step up and pay more for things that are truly unmolested. I think that indicates a movement in collecting trends. Too many are satisfied with humped-up, pieced together pistols. Granted, I am much more impressed by unaltered examples, as to me, they represent what I wish to collect...not something put together last week, or last year.
    www.m1911info.com
    Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers