Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Big Larry and SCOSGT - Its a documented Ohio National Guard Shotgun. From the research that I done and from other forums - many of the "National Guard" 1897 Riot Guns didn't have the US, US Property, or Ordnance Bomb markings. Regarding the rear swivel - it was patented in 1940 - so while not a Winchester "Factory" Swivel its period correct. I don't know who installed it though.

I was told by the son of the original owner that while it was an OANG Shotgun it was probably used by the Ohio State Prison System.

2. Default

I think the point we are making is that collectors only pay a premium for original, unaltered military shotguns in as issued condition, which is defined as having the correct markings, parts etc.
    While there is no doubt that your gun is military in the sense that it was owned by the ONG, which by definition is "military", it is most likely a gun that was acquired through commercial channels and was not a contact made gun. That makes it less attractive to most advanced collectors.

And I'll say this back to you, politely scosgt - from my research many of the National Guard Riot Guns did not have US Property or inspector marks; the only way any of us will know for sure would be to request a letter from the Museum in Cody.

4. Default

And that is because they were not military contract guns. Bought off the shelf or from civilians in the acquisition program.