Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Doniphon View Post
    I have seen the REW inspection mark on W B & T Co. made slings.
    Tom,

Acknowledged. Thanks for the info.

What US military rifles were originally issued with M1907 and Kerr slings?

3. Default

Small arms weren't issued with slings, bayonets or anything else, all of the accessories, accouterments and spare parts had to be requisitioned separately. If what you mean by your question what rifles were the gunsling M1907 and Kerr slings assembled to, virtually any firearm that was in service that had sling swivels. Typically the rifle M1903 and rifle M1917 were carried with gunsling M1907. During WWI the Kerr sling was substituted on a limited basis for the gunsling M1907, but appears to have been primarily used in training camps in the U.S. An additional hook was assembled to the gunsling M1907 (special) for use with the Browning Automatic Rifle M1918 and was available as long as the BAR was in the system.

Post WWI the gunsling M1907 was considered the primary sling for use on rifles until the adoption of the woven web sling M1 during WWII. Additional Kerr slings were procured for use on the various models of the Thompson sub-machine gun, and was no longer procured after the Sub-machine gun M3 replaced the TSG.

the sling M1907 is still in the supply system as it is preferred by match rifle shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi View Post
    Small arms weren't issued with slings, bayonets or anything else, all of the accessories, accouterments and spare parts had to be requisitioned separately. If what you mean by your question what rifles were the gunsling M1907 and Kerr slings assembled to, virtually any firearm that was in service that had sling swivels. Typically the rifle M1903 and rifle M1917 were carried with gunsling M1907. During WWI the Kerr sling was substituted on a limited basis for the gunsling M1907, but appears to have been primarily used in training camps in the U.S. An additional hook was assembled to the gunsling M1907 (special) for use with the Browning Automatic Rifle M1918 and was available as long as the BAR was in the system.

Post WWI the gunsling M1907 was considered the primary sling for use on rifles until the adoption of the woven web sling M1 during WWII. Additional Kerr slings were procured for use on the various models of the Thompson sub-machine gun, and was no longer procured after the Sub-machine gun M3 replaced the TSG.

the sling M1907 is still in the supply system as it is preferred by match rifle shooters.
    This tells me everything I need to know. Thanks.

QUESTION: anyone know the inspecto's initials C.W.A. relative to the 1907 model sling made in 1918. above 1918 date are three initials, but I can only make aout the
    last initial 'C'. the inspector's initials might tell me who made my sling............. Thanks

6. Default

Could the inspector's initials actually be CWE rather than CWA? Many WWI Model 1907 slings made by Plant Bros. Company are marked PB&Co 1918 and have the CWE inspector's mark on them.