Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: National Match

Probably, improved Slings and Sling use as a shooting aid, led to more solid Prone Shooting, in the early 1900s. The shorter 1903 Springfield Service Rifle likely made the 'Back Position' downright unsafe!

Dr. Hudson still included the "Texas Grip" in his 1903 book, "Modern Rifle Shooting".

(p.s. In my State, we still use the "Michigan Grip". It is like the Texas Grip, but, with mittens).

mrs1.JPGmrs9.JPG

I couldn't do that Texas grip. With my damaged shoulders, I can barely get my arms behind my head these days! Great picture though...
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Man those sure are some great photos, thanks for sharing!

4. Default

Does anyone here have pictures on the 1919 National Matches?

Quote Originally Posted by Promo View Post
    Does anyone here have pictures on the 1919 National Matches?

Georg, check out these 2 links. About anything you want to know on the 1919 NM's should be here. This is two online versions of the Man At Arms Magazine from the turn of the century to the 1920's. Each link seems to have a few more than the other, but between the two, there should be something there for you.

The 1919 NM's were at Caldwell NJ, it looks like. And it looks like they got there in early August, so look around the August/September 1919 Man at Arms magazines.

Actually if any of you research this timeframe, these magazines are awesome becuase it's all original first hand info. I've found a lot of cool stuff in these.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011249450

http://www.cornellpubs.com/free-down...sandtheman.php
    Last edited by cplnorton; 12-01-2016 at 04:28.