Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Tuna. It came from an old collector that says he has several more. Since my friend opened a gun store a few months ago, all sorts of things have come in the door.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

2. Default

Is the type III barrel band correct? If this is original the "P" proof mark on the top of the barrel will be visible between the front end of the barrel band and the front sight. If the P is covered by the type III band, the band has been changed, probably during a rebuild.

The band is not only correct, it is one made for Inland. The type 3 band started in November 1944 and was first used on the M1A1 carbines. Inlands demand for them was so great there were three companies making the type 3 band marked AI, KI and SI. Only about 10,000 M1A1 carbines in November and 10,000 in December 1944 were made with the type 3 barrel band. A "P" proof on any barrel not made from November 1944 onward may be below the barrel band. What mattered was production and a barrel dated a month earlier was still a barrel to be used in production. First in the bin last out of the bin.