Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default M1A1 serial check

I'm really out of my depth validating M1A1 carbines, but from the pics my friend sent me, it seems legit.

Serial is 6330154. Is rhat in the right block?

Rivets are 7:4 (my approximation of vertical dashes centered between tbe digits). The leather looks old and a there is a smidge of verdigris.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Serial number wise it's in a correct block and time frame for an M1A1 made by Inland about November 1944. Now is the stock legit? Can't tell without photos of it including the cheek piece, both side of it. The butt plate both sides of it. Is the stock marked OI inside?

3. Default

Is there a consensus on whether the 7/4 rivets can be original or do they have to be replacements? I've heard it both ways for years.

It is my understanding that the marked and unmarked rivets are correct as well as being brass or steel. Steel is most often found on rebuilt carbines too.
    Last edited by Tuna; 11-22-2016 at 06:18.

Blog Entries

Let's see if I can get all the pics up by owner's request.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Blog Entries

Phillip McGregor (OFC)

Blog Entries

Phillip McGregor (OFC)

Blog Entries

Phillip McGregor (OFC)

Blog Entries

...and finally, the magazine. Other pics on request.

Phillip McGregor (OFC)

It's all good to go Phillip. Nice example of one made November 1944. Looks like it's been hidden away in someone's closet for many years it's that good an example.