Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spelling

Red face Spelling

In my school days I remember a teacher always stressing a spelling guide. It was the letter I before E, except after the letter C. In other words RECEIVER not RECIEVER. This is just a little thing I see as gun parts are described, no big thing, just that once you see it you will notice later. Just an old guy

Their, they're, there. Two, to, too. Then, than.
    "...a teacher always stressing..." A nun with a pointer did the stressing where I was. Just an old guy too. snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Use to be a good speller but as I get older I seem to have to think more about how it goes together. The joys of the golden years
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

(1) As we've aged our vocabularies have increased significantly. (2) With age, we inherently become more self-critical. (3) The ubiquitous "spell checker" now points out many of our spelling errors that we might previously overlooked.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

With the advent of the computer age, guns now have sites rather than sights.

Smell checker is fine, when it works.But we need grammar checker as well! (misspelling intended)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    With the advent of the computer age, guns now have sites rather than sights.
    I have seen sale, sell, and even sail used interchangeably on Facebook. It makes my skin crawl when I see some one saleing something.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

The ubiquitous "spell checker" does not catch words that are spelt(The Queen's English!) correctly but used incorrectly. As in There, their, or they're etc.
    There is a grammar check in most word processors too.
    "...on Facebook..." That'd be your explanation. 'u', '2' and 'ur' are not words either. snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Over the last few years I've noticed our local newspaper, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, contains more and more incorrect spelling and word usage. Discouraging to say the least.

How about...."A historic........". It is "AN" historic whatever, NOT A historic whatever. Look at Canfield's Garand tome. EVERY "A M1" should be "AN M1". It's simple elementary school spelling and grammar. And by the way, I'm an old guy too.
    Jon