Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I knew I could count on you guys for sound advice. I have the standard padded zipper cases which I use to transport my guns to the range. Since they're not lockable, I'll look around for a hard sided lockable case. Any suggestions?

Merc

Just noticed your last post. I find Plano makes an excellent hard case, not the prestige of a Pelican but an excellent waterproof airtight lockable case (you will need your own pad lock(s) for a price that won't break you. Go on line to Optics Planet. The carry a lot of gun cases at good prices. If you buy from them order on the phone and ask what their best price is for what you're buying. You may be surprised with an extra discount or a perk like free shipping.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Art; 11-23-2016 at 06:57.

3. Default

Don't send the ammo via USPS. A friend sent me some 45/70 black powder loads that he had reloaded. I got a call from the postal inspector and had to go to the post office and explain what they were and why they were shipped (illegally). Luckily they accepted my explanation and let me take them home. (It was only a couple of boxes and the friend actually told the postal worker what they were when he sent them.) The packaging had torn and revealed what the contents were. RB

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer99 View Post
    Don't send the ammo via USPS. A friend sent me some 45/70 black powder loads that he had reloaded. I got a call from the postal inspector and had to go to the post office and explain what they were and why they were shipped (illegally). Luckily they accepted my explanation and let me take them home. (It was only a couple of boxes and the friend actually told the postal worker what they were when he sent them.) The packaging had torn and revealed what the contents were. RB
    Good advice. I knew the Post Office won't accept anything explosive. I ordered a box of Goex black powder 45/70 cartridges a few years ago and I'm pretty sure they were shipped to me by UPS. The trapdoor is still hanging on the wall and the full box of 45/70 is still in the safe. Maybe 2017 will be the year that I finally take the old boy to the range and see what it can do. I've never shot a black powder rifle before so this will be a new experience.

I'm going to check out some hard gun cases at a gun show tomorrow in Monroeville (Pittsburgh) and also look for a lockable ammo box. I figure I'll lock up both the guns and ammo so they won't be "readily available" while crossing state lines in a mini van.

(I'll take my .303 British gauges along to the gun show in case an interesting WW2 Enfield No. 4 is there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Federal laws have been passed to protect people with firearms who are not residents of a state from being harassed when they pass through. However in some states, especially Mass, N.Y. and N.J. the authorities truly have the attitude that you might "beat the rap but you won't beat the ride."
    It's called the McClure-Volkmer Act of 1986, and any law enforcement officer who behaves as Art describes is an utter disgrace to the profession and should be driven out by his respectable fellow officers. If good cops don't want to carry a bad reputation, it's up to them to police their own.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997