Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossing state lines with a firearm

Default Crossing state lines with a firearm

I recently bought two rifles, on two separate occasions, from Cabalas in Wheeling, WV. One is a Winchester M1917 and the other is a Remington 03-A3. I simply put them in the trunk of my car and drove them across the state line into Pennsylvania. Was that legal?

I will be going on vacation to Florida in a few months and I thought about taking the M1917 and a few boxes of ammo with me to do some range shooting with a relative who lives in Florida and is anxious to see and shoot this 99 year old beauty. My question is, is it legal to transport a rifle and ammo across state lines? I will actually be crossing 6 state lines - WV, VA, NC, SC, GA and FL (twice).

If the legalities get too complicated, you MIGHT consider mailing the bolts and the ammo to your relative, and travel only with the inoperable rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    If the legalities get too complicated, you MIGHT consider mailing the bolts and the ammo to your relative, and travel only with the inoperable rifles.
    This is how I go shooting into neighboring WV from VA. Bolts and ammo in locked Pelican box. Rifles in sleeves without bolts. Not a complete rifle at that point.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

As long as you are going south and not in passenger compartment, I believe you to be ok. But, don't go through New Yoik, they aint got no sense of humor
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

There's a problem - we have a minivan so locking the rifle out of the passenger compartment isn't possible. We have some time before the trip. I might consult with our sheriff's office to see if they can offer a solution.

I don't pretend to know the legalities of all the states you are passing through, but putting the rifle in a locked case so it is not readily accessible may address your problems.

You are traveling through southern states not an issue to have a long gun in your vehicle. To be safe google the question as Castle Laws have been signed in many state but the rule of thumb is cased in the trunk or out of reach and separate from the ammo.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

As long as Merc stays with the route he's described, there is no cause for concern as long as the rifle travels unloaded and is kept in the rear of his minivan. His rifle must be cased and his ammunition must be packed in a separate container. For those who travel with firearms, I strongly recommend springing for a new copy of "Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States" every couple of years. At around $15 it's a worthwhile investment. I carry a copy with me whenever I'm traveling out of state.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Federal peaceable journey laws apply in these states.

Quote Originally Posted by keith smart View Post
    Federal peaceable journey laws apply in these states.
    This is true. Federal laws have been passed to protect people with firearms who are not residents of a state from being harassed when they pass through. However in some states, especially Mass, N.Y. and N.J. the authorities truly have the attitude that you might "beat the rap but you won't beat the ride." They know you're from out of state and they'll threaten you with charges and try to get you to sign over your guns to them as tribute to let you pass. This is grossly illegal but they figure that you won't go to the expense to fight it in court. Most of the time they're right. A lot of officers will just let you go, but then there are the others. I would never try to check or re check a firearm at JFK or La Guardia, that's truly asking for trouble.

Minimize you're chances of being picked on in firearm unfriendly states. Keep those guns cased, preferably with the bolts out and ammunition in a separate container. Scrupulously obey the traffic laws. Be very respectful and courteous if you're stopped, it really can go a long way in minimizing you're inconvenience. It's kept me from getting a ticket more than once, including one time recently when I really deserved one.
    Last edited by Art; 11-19-2016 at 07:35.