Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Remington OP rods

I was thinking over an adult beverage last night about new op rods and realized Remington probably made the best in the 60's and they are still in business.

With all the garands out there and the CMP releasing more each day, and the now real possibility the presumably worn out Korean garands have a shot of coming home, I wonder if Remington possibly still has the tooling to make the NM spec op rod in storage someplace and if they would be willing to manufacture them again.

I know I could send a email to the generic address, probably with the predictable answer of NO, but does anyone know anyone at Remington with enough clout to at least consider the proposal? Maybe someone through the shooting sports would be the way to go?
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I think that a company could produce the M1 rifle operating rod if there was enough demand, and could improve it too. Example: the
    TRW manufactured M14 operating was one piece ! even the early model shop Garand had a one piece operating rod known as the
    weld seam op rod but very difficult to make for the early model shop rifles.

I would doubt Remington would manufacture the M1 operating rod.

Interesting that when the M14 was cancelled, it would have been an excellent time to introduce a new manufactured M14 semi auto
    from HRA or Winchester, but Winchester kept it alive somewhat by selling their tooling

Don't recall Remington ever having anything to do with M1 Rifles or their parts.
    "...new manufactured M14 semi auto..." Is an M1A. Sort of. Winchester is owned by FN now too. However, I think most or all M-14 machinery and tooling was sent to Taiwan.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I thought Remington was out of the military firearms business after the 03-A3 and A4.

You guys should do some research before posting;

reference: Bruce Canfield "The M1 Garand Rifle" page 766 shows Remington manufacture operating rods 1961 - 1969 F7790722 NM RA used
    for both NM and rebuild rifles

Remington was also involved and granted a contract for development of a select fire M1 rifle with a detachable magazine known as
    the Remington T series starts on page 411 of Canfield's book

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Don't recall Remington ever having anything to do with M1 Rifles or their parts.
    "...new manufactured M14 semi auto..." Is an M1A. Sort of. Winchester is owned by FN now too. However, I think most or all M-14 machinery and tooling was sent to Taiwan.
    Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    I thought Remington was out of the military firearms business after the 03-A3 and A4.
    0c92a7afc79f5564812abc28f0644ae5.jpg
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    You guys should do some research before posting;

reference: Bruce Canfield "The M1 Garand Rifle" page 766 shows Remington manufacture operating rods 1961 - 1969 F7790722 NM RA used
    for both NM and rebuild rifles

Remington was also involved and granted a contract for development of a select fire M1 rifle with a detachable magazine known as
    the Remington T series starts on page 411 of Canfield's book
    " I thought " in my post, I guess I thought wrong. No big deal especially in an election year.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I was thinking over an adult beverage last night about new op rods and realized Remington probably made the best in the 60's and they are still in business.

With all the garands out there and the CMP releasing more each day, and the now real possibility the presumably worn out Korean garands have a shot of coming home, I wonder if Remington possibly still has the tooling to make the NM spec op rod in storage someplace and if they would be willing to manufacture them again.
    As far as I know the tooling is provided by the government on those contracts. So basically a company's bid is to make the item with the government providing the tools, dies, and jigs. A follow-on contract could be to somebody completely different. That being the case it'd be unlikely Remington has the tooling. Basic tools, yes, but not necessarily the tools used in that contract. The jigs and dies they'd likely not have at all.

Springfield Armory, the company and not the government place, makes M1As right? They should be able to do it but I'm not sure the market is big enough to tool for it.

I guess we rarely see new parts made for old military guns as there are always enough people willing to part them out. An ever diminishing number of them as they're converted to parts for the others. Conversely, with modern computer controlled machinery getting ever cheaper, "cottage industry" might be able to finally handle those niche markets.

Plenty of good Garand parts still available and prices on parts are lower now than they have been in years, its a buyer market. Out of spec/worn op rods can be rebuilt to new condition. I cant really see a market for them anythime soon

I believe these replacement op rods were made at Raritan Arsenal.