Default Black powder load for 45colt

I have a Ruger Vaquero 45colt. I would like to load some BP loads for it. I would be using 240gr. lead bullets. Can the case be filled with BP to where the bullet would slightly crush the powder? Or, should I weigh a specific charge? I know there must be no air space between bullet and powder. Thanks

2. Default

Bullets must have black powder lube on the lead, the bullet lubes designed for smokeless loads will not work well. Around 35 gr +- of black should do it, hopefully you should not need a wad. Black powder is usually by volume, and you can have slightly compressed loads. I think its hard to overcharge with black, but for safety sake recommend you consult published data, if nothing else, peek at a black powder loading manual at Cabela's or a gun store.
    Last edited by Hefights; 11-12-2016 at 06:49.

3. Default

Handloader had an article on BP .45 Colt loads a while back.

Why would you want to use it anyway? You like taking guns apart cleaning them and putting back to-gether? About 6 shots, 3 times and the cylinder will probably not even turn. At least that is my experience with BP percussion pistols!
    You can never go home again.

5. Default

If you're shooting black powder in a revolver, or black powder, recommend Dixie's Black Solve concentrate cleaner, comes in 4 ox bottles, mixes to 32 oz, perfect for std spray bottle. Put some on the cylinder pin and back of the cylinder, keeps things spinning pretty good. For me, the thicker based lubes tend to gum up. Also, where I live, water and water based cleaners sometimes start rust, even while cleaning immediately after shooting. For some reason, I've never had that problem with Black Solve, doesn't seem to attract rust, at least not very fast.
    Last edited by Hefights; 12-03-2016 at 05:59.

6. Default

Oh, yeah, as far as taking them apart, I'll just say this. I've shot Colt Black Powder (3rd Gen higher end replicas), replica Colts, and replica Remington BP revolvers for 30 some years. I've always been religious about cleaning the bores, cylinders, frame, nipples, nipple recesses etc. I've never disassembled them just to clean after shooting (that means taking out screws and removing trigger guard and parts etc). I will stick a pipe cleaner in any slot or hole and do the best I can without disassembling.

I have four of them on hand now, and whenever I take them out to check them, they function fine as long as they were cleaned normally and stored well. I do my own timing and trigger work on them (a must if you shoot the Italian made guns and don't want to take 'em to a gunsmith), and have had occasion to disassemble them periodically. While there is a little crud on the inside, no rust or corrosion. YMMV
    Last edited by Hefights; 12-03-2016 at 10:43.