Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R F Sedgley

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I own two Sedgley sporters, one a low number but the other is a hi-number. So they did have/use some hi-numbers.
    Original markings on one I had were ground off and the receiver ring matted; beautiful job, but perhaps done to conceal low number?

Dave,

Thank you for posting the serial. Below is just the range from around it. There is a mix, but still a lot of Marine rifles.

842689 010538USMC - SAN DIEGO
    842717 050531USMC
    842807 080432RARITAN ARS TO GOVS ISLAND
    842816 010433NY STATE ARS TO 107TH INF NYNG
    842818 102830USMC
    842833 120936U OF KENTUCKY
    842833 033137RECOVERED
    843052 032632USMC
    843103 021633USMC - HAITI (SURVEY)
    843105 050433NY STATE ARS GOVS ISLAND
    843191 121731USMC
    843265 111836USMC
    Last edited by cplnorton; 01-02-2017 at 01:39.

AlanD

Seasons' Greetings!

You may recall that we corresponded four years ago about Kiwi Remingtons. You send me two scans from a book of Kiwi rifle purchases. I send you a data base of Kiwi Remington registration numbers. I have since expanded that data base to 74 entries. The data base is very interesting. Thanks for encouraging me to compile it!

Happy New Year!

J.B.

Hello John, Seasons Greetings!

I do remember are communications - 4 years, how time fly's.

I will be following up again with the Fiji Consulate here in Sydney once the holiday period is over, they have at least acknowledged my initial inquiry.

In the meantime I got a reprint of the R F Sedgley catalogue for 1940, from Abby at Corenell Publications. It makes really interesting reading.

Someone should do a book or lengthy magazine article on the history of R F Sedgley.

Regards

Alan David
    Sydney
    Australia

I doubt it has anything to do with a USMC rifle but since we are talking Sedgley, I have one that is supposed to be an old DCM gun. I bought an 03 and a Garand from the same guy and he said they were both DCM guns, the garand came with paperwork this rifle did not. 800468 with a Sedgley 9-44 barrel. I've heard stories about the late barrels but it is a nice rifle so I kept it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CPC View Post
    I doubt it has anything to do with a USMC rifle but since we are talking Sedgley, I have one that is supposed to be an old DCM gun. I bought an 03 and a Garand from the same guy and he said they were both DCM guns, the garand came with paperwork this rifle did not. 800468 with a Sedgley 9-44 barrel. I've heard stories about the late barrels but it is a nice rifle so I kept it.
    Your rifle's Sedgley 9-44 dated barrel was delivered on a contract from the U.S. Army Ordnance Dept. Sedgley still had barrel tooling left over from their USMC contracts.

J.B.

7. Default

"Someone should do a book or lengthy magazine article on the history of R F Sedgley."

AlanD:

Michael Petrov devoted one chapter of Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century (Volume 1) to RF Sedgley. That chapter would also have been published as a magazine article in Precision Shooting, both now out of print or out of business.

HTH

Blog Entries

I know it's not germane to the topic, but I have a commercial 03 Sedgley barrel. Circle S and 3006 marked.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

relics6165. Do you know which issue of Precision Shooter the article on Sedgley appeared in, as I would like to get a copy?

cplnorton. I have had no luck with Sedgley records. However, an archive in Phily has got the following Philadelphia Evening Bulletin articles about Sedgley. The archive has offered to photo copy them and send them to me, but its a bit to far away from my mission of British Military Secondary Issue Small Arms, so if you want them, send me an e-mail through this site -click on my name on a post above - and I will forward the details to you. Here is the list of eight articles.

April 6, 1929 "Robber Scare in Arms Plant"
    February 20, 1936 "Says Phila. Firm Got Machine Guns"
    September 9, 1940 "Sedgley Plans Expansion"
    September 20, 1944 "Local Firm Producing New Flamethrower"
    November 16, 1944 "2 Missing Shells Found by Boys"
    November 17, 1944 "Search Continued for 3D Rocket Shell"
    January 25, 1945 "Receiver is Asked for Sedgley Firm"
    March 8, 1945 "Judge Dismisses Sedgley Suit"

Regards

AlanD

AlanD,

That would be awesome. Thank you so much sir. I will send you a PM.