Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Two "vintage" M1903s mysteriously appear in France

Since I found out about these two M1903s about 5-6 months ago, and the possible owner lives out of the country, I'm going to pass along the story of these rifles for information purposes, since the story is so interesting. There are two rifles, so I'll post about them separately.

About April of this year, I was contacted by a gentleman from France who said he had located two M1903s. I sometimes get questions from those living outside of North America and without fail, the rifles are usually cobbled together mixmasters. These two rifles apparently were left in France during or after World War I. My guess is they had been left in a residence or farm. The thing that is so amazing is that both were in original condition! The man was attempting to get them registered, so he did not tell me under what circumstances he found them, nor what area of France he found them. It would make an interesting story.

The first was a Springfield, #274477. It had a January 1907 barrel and other characteristics that appear to make it one of the M1903/05s in 30-03 caliber later modified and rebarreled in 30-06. It still has early, pre-1910 features, but must have made it to France during WWI.

DSCF1003 (2) (1024x768).jpgDSCF1007 (2) (1024x325).jpgDSCF1009 (1024x258).jpgDSCF1010 (1024x184).jpgDSCF1011 (437x1024).jpg
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

A couple of more pictures of the above rifle:

DSCF1045 (1024x622).jpgDSCF1046 (1024x532).jpg
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

The other rifle was a later example, #733630. It also appears to be completely original and is especially interesting because M1903s of this "vintage" (serial range) were usually used hard and rebuilt after WWI. As you can see, it has a 11-17 SA barrel and a JFC-marked two bolt stock.(probably right after the additional of the extra bolt in production) All the other parts appear to be original.

A prime example of the old adage, "If only these rifles could speak".
    As I have lost contact with this man, chances are I will never know anything else about these rifles.

733630 - 1.jpg733630 - 3.jpg733630 - 4.jpg733630 - 5.jpgDSCF1012 (1024x391).jpg
    --C.S. Lewis

Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 11-05-2016 at 06:10.
    --C.S. Lewis

Thanks for the pictures and story. Someone took good care of them while they were missing.

I have several friends in France, and when I have visited a number of times in past years, I have been shown firearms from both world wars (and before) which were pretty amazing, considering the "rules". Basically, many French people do not trust, and have not trusted, their government with regard to firearms.
    You can own guns in France, but the registration process is stringent, and bureaucratic. Hunting firearms are OK with the government, but you must comply with the formalities. Up until recently, you could not own a number of rifles (never mind handguns) which would be considered antiques here, simply because they are "military", and the country of origin did not matter. Usually, it has to do with the cartridge being military in origin. At least now, the famous Lebel, or 1886 rifle, can be owned and shot in its original cartridge by individuals, as the laws have changed, somewhat. Garands, Enfields and 1903 rifles, popular among re-inactors, either have to be neutralized, or converted to a short cartridge, or something like .300 Savage, in order to be shootable. .30-06 is considered military. Still is, I believe.
    Needless to say, the French, basically being realists and suspicious of government regulation, have been hiding all kinds of things for years. The two rifles above have probably been in somebody's attic since WW1. Just think if the Germans had found them during WW2. But the French love freedom, despite what many Americans think, and are willing sometimes to go "underground".
    Last edited by 11mm; 11-06-2016 at 04:04.

7. Default

Amazing. I'm getting ready to put mine in the attic, too.

PD

Thanks Rick for the write-up on those. Pretty amazing what turns up.
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

9. Default

France was strict about rifles in "military calibers", but that changed some years ago. Since then they are crazy about buying stuff in original calibers, hence the interest has risen. I had sold quite a few items to France, and they are highly interested in WWII weapons.

I might throw in that those two doesn't necessarily need to be leftovers from WWI, but in fact could also had been war aid from WWII where they just dumped their leftover parts, to arm the resistance.

What is very interesting to me, is the receiver hole (?) of the RIA rifle. Any guesses what this one is for? And I liked the fact that the later SA rifle features a front sight cover!

"Amazing. I'm getting ready to put mine in the attic, too." Pete, I know what you mean! Chaz