east of Eden in the land of Nod on the boulevard of broken dreams

Default My 51 year old Remington 521T

She has plenty of experience and is no spring chicken but then neither am I .
    She was built in June of 1965. I love the walnut it's tiger striped from the butt to the forearm both sides
    she wears an older 6x24x40 Bushnell Trophy that was built in Japan.
    I use her primarily for prairie dogs at range up to and over 200yds, where she works quite well as long as I do my part.
    It's lots easier to get permission from the ranchers & farmers to shoot a 22LR than a centerfire in the Texas panhandle where I primarily hunt them.
    IMG_0002 (6).jpg IMG_0003 (5).jpg

These are 50yd targets shot with an assortment of el cheapo ammo , the 5 shot center top photo is RWS target ammo,
    the rest are not bad for Rem's golden bullets, American Eagle, and Rem CeeBee's
    IMG_0003 (14).jpg here's another IMG_0001.jpg

So are there anymore Remington 513/521 fans here?
    Hang the bitch , because simply fading away shouldn't be an option
    "Les Deplorables"

Definitely a great fan of both of them. I get close to the same results that you get on targets, but none of mine have scopes. I have to rely on the target sights. At my age, the old eyes don't work very well any more. I bought several 513's from the CMP and all shoot better than I can hold.

I sort of collect what are some times referred to as second line target rifles. I have several, but no Rem. There are two here that have been at gun shows (same seller) for two years or so. Asking 850 & 825 for them. And he will not budge. They are like new but I just will not pay that kind of money! Yours is very, very nice!
    Last edited by dave; 11-03-2016 at 06:00.
    You can never go home again.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I sort of collect what are some times referred to as second line target rifles. I have several, but no Rem. There are two here that have been at gun shows (same seller) for two years or so. Asking 850 & 825 for them. And he will not budge. They are like new but I just will not pay that kind of money! Yours is very, very nice!
    I appreciate the compliment , as I get older I appreciate the rifles of my youth even more.Like me they aren't making any more of them.
    I don't shoot matches I hunt and plink mostly , target shoot just for fun and have no desire to tote a heavy target gun around .
    I've had a number of Remington T's and S's still have a 541T hb it usually stays in the safe
    I enjoy that 521 because it' a accurate as a 513T or my 541T without the weight and a bolt action shoots Cee Bees ,shorts, longs & long rifles without a hiccup ,
    so I can shoot the damn squirrels eating my pecans in my suburban backyard , and pop the head off a panhandle prairie dog at 200yds with the same gun.
    I positively love my old Nylon 66 that was a gift for my 9th birthday , it's perfect for running rabbits and weighs next to nothing so it's easy for an old man like me to tote all day.
    Can't say I blame you for not picking those 2 up , $800 plus is a little steep.
    when a 22 gets up in that neighborhood I usually just add a little more and buy or build another FAL or M1A , it seems I'm always collecting parts for them anyways.
    "Les Deplorables"

RCK , The eyes are my problem I've worn glasses since I was about 12, which was ok for open sights for years but age and a diabetes related cataract got me away from open sights and onto scopes with adjustable objectives.
    I've since had intraocular implants that improved my vision enough to allow me to use open sights once again.
    Which has brought out some of my old rifles without sights and allowed me to once again use the ARMS QD rings on my M1A's . It' nice to be able to use open sights again, I just don't want to do it all the time.
    It's too bad that the CMP doesn't have those 513T's like they use too. You could pick up some nice ones there.
    And don't feel like the Lone Ranger the 513/521's can outshoot me too
    Last edited by ray55classic; 11-03-2016 at 10:48.
    "Les Deplorables"

Nice looking rifle.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

My intraocular implants were, quite literally, a gift from God. I don't know what else to call an immediate change from 20/480 to 20/15.

For anyone with cataracts who is struggling with trying to see well enough to shoot well enough anymore, you have to understand that the eye professionals don't understand the dynamics of marksmanship. Part of this can also be blamed on the insurance folks. The entire system of eye examination and eye care revolves on getting more fannies into the exam chair more quickly and out the door with just enough of a prescription that the recipient can drive home without killing themselves or somebody else. For 99 & 44/100ths of the population, that's probably good enough. But shooters aren't in that sub-set of the population......

I say this as one who wore glasses from age 6 to 59 and have been glasses free for five years now. Not trying to brag here, but I accumulated enough points to earn my Distinguished Rifleman Badge within two years of the eye surgery and it would never have happened without the implants. It would have been quicker but there was a bit of a spell where I could not pull my head out of my nether regions long enough to finish up those last 6 points, but that was on me, not the corrective surgery.

When the eye doctor tells you "your cataracts aren't bad enough yet" you need to have a long conversation about what eyesight means to a shooter and if that eye doctor doesn't want to listen, you need to find another doctor, stat. There are quality of life issues involved here. Get it done if you have to pay for it yourself.
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

I bought two cameras for $25. The game warden was given a box of lenses and needed a old body with the screw mounts. So I traded one of the cameras for the 521. The 521 has always been a amazing shooter and my best trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I bought two cameras for $25. The game warden was given a box of lenses and needed a old body with the screw mounts. So I traded one of the cameras for the 521. The 521 has always been a amazing shooter and my best trade.
    Sounds like one of those deals that come around once in a lifetime , you made out like a bandit on that trade.
    What amazes me about my 521T is the ability to group well with cheap bulk ammo.
    When I shoot RWS Target or even the cheaper grades of Eley it cloverleafs.
    My 541T hb is more picky about ammo
    "Les Deplorables"