1. Default M84 Scope Repair

I just received MAJ Culver's M1D that I bought from Gloria. It came with one of the adjustment knob covers broken off - probably due to the dirtbags who stole it. Other than that, it's in remarkably good condition considering that such dirtbags don't usually take very good care of firearms.

I ordered a replacement cover from SARCO, and it's on the way. I am looking for a good set of instructions on how replace it. It doesn't look like it should be too had, but before I just start unscrewing things, I thought I'd ask for advice or references.

Thank you.

- Brad

On another forum it was advised to bend the ears which I did on one cover but on the other I took the pin out and used a slave pin and tapped in the covers pin. You just push down on the spring and line up the cover with the holes.

3. Default

Hmmm - the replacement I bought (at least as shown in the photo) is the entire assembly, not just the cover. I think I'd rather take off the knob and replace the whole assembly without tapping out the pin (which looks like it's staked/flattened to keep it in place). The base is just held down by four screws, but clearly the knob has to come off to remove the base.

I saw an exploded diagram on another thread. Am I asking for trouble if I remove the knob? Any pointers?

My advice is to contact www.nicolausassociates.com and order TM9-6131 Ordnance Maintenance Telescope M84. It will give you illustrations and the steps needed to disassemble the knob assembly. While apart you may also want to replace the gaskets and springs. Other than that, bending the ears to replace the knob cover will work.

Quote Originally Posted by hkp7fan View Post
    Hmmm - the replacement I bought (at least as shown in the photo) is the entire assembly, not just the cover. I think I'd rather take off the knob and replace the whole assembly without tapping out the pin (which looks like it's staked/flattened to keep it in place). The base is just held down by four screws, but clearly the knob has to come off to remove the base.

I saw an exploded diagram on another thread. Am I asking for trouble if I remove the knob? Any pointers?
    I ordered 2 covers from Numrich and they did not come with the base. They did not match the originals but were close. I would like to know whether the cover from Sarco matches the original.
    Last edited by five 0; 10-31-2016 at 04:23.

6. Default

five-0: I'll let you know here, when it comes. I looked at several places, including Numrich, and all only had reproductions. SARCO's seem to be originals (I think with them, that's the default unless it says "reproduction"). I'll find out soon if that interpretation was correct.

cnjcomp: thanks for the reference.

7. Default

I got the scope knob cover from SARCO. It was an original. Complete assembly of cover, base, and hinge pin. When I tried to open it, however, the spring clip broke off, as it was rusted underneath. I sent it back for a replacement, and they exchanged it, no problem. It has arrived, but I have not ha time to install it yet. It looks like it is in good condition - better than the unbroken one that remains on the scope now, anyway.