Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arisaka Type 44

Default Arisaka Type 44

Is there a way to date a series 1 type 44 Arisaka # 00197 ?
    Thank you

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

Per the book "The Type 38 Arisaka" by Francis C. Allan,the Series 1, Type 44 Cavalry Carbine, estimated date of production: Sept.1937 through April 1941. Estimated production: 9,500
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

yeh, so? Do not mean to be sarcastic but is there a question or something else? According to McCollum (he gives no dates) only 90,000 were made, pretty close considering both are nothing but estimates based on known serial numbers.
    Last edited by dave; 10-31-2016 at 05:15.
    You can never go home again.

Thank you Deano

By the way jim-d, you gave the key information regarding your question (many don't know how to identify what they have, or where to look). Type of rifle, series number, and serial number.
    Dean (the other one)

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    yeh, so? Do not mean to be sarcastic but is there a question or something else? According to McCollum (he gives no dates) only 90,000 were made, pretty close considering both are nothing but estimates based on known serial numbers.
    For some reason when I posted this, the question by jim-d was not on my screen, thread started with 'Deano-41' answer! Strange!
    Last edited by dave; 11-01-2016 at 05:08.
    You can never go home again.

I believe the 00 prefix denotes a rebuild and taken out of active service. School rifle.

Yes Michaelp, you are correct in most cases. However in Kokura Arsenal's case, they used a five digit numbering plan for their Type 44 carbines. Therefore, carbine 00197 would have been 197 in the series, with the two preceding zeros maintaining the five digit numbering plan. If that carbine had been taken out of service, it would have had two or three zeros preceding 00197, sometimes to the left of the series mark.

Not being blessed with a good memory, I rely on books to provide the information on the MilSurp weapons I have collected. In the case of Japanese weapons there are many variables in arsenals and series.
    Last edited by Deano41; 11-11-2016 at 04:48.
    Dean (the other one)

Great info...thanks. Another forum member advised that #197 is the lowest recorded series 1 type 44, the previous being #472. Not sure of the relevance, but nice to have as much info as possible. It is a great rifle, all matching #'s, some serial #'s, some mfg #'s, and the mum is intact. I think it was a great find.

" Another forum member advised that #197 is the lowest recorded series 1 type 44, the previous being #472"
    He must be looking at the same book I have. :>)
    Dean (the other one)