Default No Rear Sling Swivel?

Hi All,
    I recently had the opportunity to handle and fire a Model of 1873 rifle. This rifle was purchased, in person from the Franklin, NH State Armory sometime in the twenties or thirties. This rifle has no "upgrades" whatsoever and there is no rear sling swivel or even any evidence that it ever had a rear sling swivel located on the front of the trigger guard. All screw heads are undamaged. It does have an upper sling swivel with stacking swivel. Really odd. The original owner of this rifle kept highly detailed daily journals and it is hoped that sooner than later that complete details of the purchase of this rifle will be revealed to include the original bill of sale. Glad to say that the rifle is in the hands of a direct male descendant and he is an avid service rifle shooter and reloader. Thoughts?? TIA, George in NH
    Last edited by George in NH; 10-29-2016 at 01:16.

My first thought is that you say "rifle". Are you aware of the existence of approximately 22,000 cadet rifles most of which, as originally made (over almost the entire TD production period) did not have sling swivels?

They all had 29.6" barrels. I can think of NO legitimate reason why a standard rifle (with 32.6" barrel) would EVER have not had a sling swivel on the guard bow. So, there is a bit of a mystery.

Glad it is in good hands - they are fun to own, and shoot.

Mr. Hosmer, thank you.
    Here is the serial number with permission of the owner: 11232
    The barrel was very carefully measured and comes to 29.590 and the crown has not been altered since production.
    George in NH

Well, that helps. How is the lockplate marked? The source, and the fact that it is cadet length, but has a rifle upper band, raises some other possibilities.

Hammer "Eagle" U.S.
    Springfield
    Lock plate markings......George in NH
    of course "auto fill" or whatever has skewed my depiction of the lock plate.......
    Last edited by George in NH; 11-03-2016 at 03:49.

There are a lot of "made-up" low-serialed cadets, by Bannerman and others, so, such a piece is always suspect. Often they have lockplates marked "1883" and "1884" which are totally bogus. Since your lockplate is "real" we are only left with the mystery of the upper swivels, which should not be there.

Mr. Hosmer,
    Many thanks. Just for review, I will write again that this rifle was a direct, in person purchase from the State of New Hampshire Armory located in Franklin, NH. If you think of anything else, please post. George in NH