Default Kokura 24th series questions

Serial number 79,000 range
    Has welded bolt and square plain front sight. Would this be considered a last ditch rifle, or is it just starting to show some of the traits.

No mono pod or aircraft wing portion of sight. Is it late enough these were deleted and never installed.

Is receiver late enough it's not safe too shoot...bore is pristine.

Matching serial number on receiver and front band. Mum intact. Dust cover serial number does not match. Any other serial numbers I can look for without taking rifle apart.

Nice Kokura quillion type bayonet with sheath. What does that add to value.

Ultimately it's a friends I'm going to list for sale on here. I'd like to know these answers so I don't sound like a idiot when I list it. He bought it from son of vet who didn't care about it...I don't get it.

Thanks in advance.

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

Series 24 was made II-44 to IV-44. As you probably know, each series was made in a block of 100,000 rifles and the serial numbers were repeated for each series. The Series 24 consisted of four configurations. Early design, early transition, square recoil bolt design, and late transition. The front sight on your rifle would be correct for that serial number range. The dust covers were not issued for that series, nor did it have a monopod or AA sights.
    The bolt is matched by the last three numbers of the serial number on the bolt handle root.
    your rifle is considered a "transitional" rifle.
    Yes, the rifle should be safe to shoot.

You can check prices on ebay for bayonets. They vary, depending on condition.

Providing the bolt is matching, with an intact Mum, and the finish is original (not sanded), you should get a decent price for it. (I don't do values, I get in trouble with that)
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

Thanks Dean that's the information I was looking for. As far as prices I figure I'll post pics Wednesday and if no one is interested they can tell me what its worth and I'll throw it on Gunbroker. He already told me he wants $400.00 + 35.00 shipping so we shall see how it pans out. The bayonet is in very good shape as is the scabbard so it should help. I knew the dust cover was non-matching as the last three on the serial number were non-matching. It came on the rifle so who knows how it got there as he bought it between 1995 and 1998 (His memory is fading a little when it come so to years). I'll look at the bolt again for a serial number. Also the finish is original but the two piece portion of the butt stock has a gap in it at the seam. I've seen other Arisaka's like that but I don't know if that matters to Arisaka collectors. Thanks again.

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

If the bolt is matching, and the stock finish is original, $400 for the rifle, including the bayonet, is not unreasonable.
    The separated splice in the buttstock is no big deal if it's not huge. The dust cover will do nothing other than scratch the original finish, and was never issued with the rifle (they cut the dust cover grooves in the receivers until almost the end of production, even though the covers were omitted).
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Deano41 View Post
    If the bolt is matching, and the stock finish is original, $400 for the rifle, including the bayonet, is not unreasonable.
    The separated splice in the buttstock is no big deal if it's not huge. The dust cover will do nothing other than scratch the original finish, and was never issued with the rifle (they cut the dust cover grooves in the receivers until almost the end of production, even though the covers were omitted).
    Thanks again Arisakas aren't my strong point. The dust cover is off the rifle. I can read the three digit number but I can't make out the arsenal mark. I need a magnifying glass...yep the rifle has dust cover groves cut in it. Now to check the bolt serial number.