Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Aligater Guest

Default 100 year old 1911...Need a little advice.....

I inherited a CF Colt 1911 U.S. Army Colt Serial 688XX...Manufactured in 1914 (over 100 years old). it was reworked at Augusta Arsenal. Other marks:
    Colts PT. F.A. Mfg CO.
    Patented April 20 1897 September 9 1902
    December 19 1905. February 14 1911 Aug 19 1913
    United States Property A A the little horse on the back of the slide.

Black Army finish is near 100%, and it looks like all the parts are original to this gun except, of course, the springs.... Just had a small car wreck and need some money...guess I'll put it on gunbroker.........any idea what might be a fair asking price?

thanks,

Normally when a 1911 is reworked it is given a phosphate finish. That said, not all 1911's with an arsenal mark are reworked. The black finish was not a durable finish, and it would be very unusual for it to be 100%, but it did not start until approximately serial number 330000. You really need to post photos. Sounds like phosphate (Parkerized) finish.
    Last edited by Johnny P; 10-28-2016 at 06:13.

Blog Entries

Is the rear sight squared off or rounded like an ellipse?
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Rear sight changed from rounded to flat top at about 60000.

Aligater Guest

This one is rounded off like the letter U...

Aligater Guest

I want to show everyone pictures of this gun.....but, I don't know how to post them.....can I email them.....

Aligater Guest

That's absolutely the kind of sight it has....how do you post pictures?

Default Example of early rounded rear sight on 1914 Commercial 1911

That was a quick reply! I'm not sure how to explain so give me a minute to think about it. Chaz

Okay, open the reply to thread box and "Go Advanced." Find the insert image icon and click on it to open that window. Then click on "From Computer." Then click "Select Files." That will open a file window from which you select "Pictures" (or documents or videos, ete.)...find the picture(s) you want to attach and click "open." Then return to the "insert image" box and click on "Upload File." Gibberish will appear in the message. Next preview the post and the photos should be there. SA 1911 003.jpg

Now if I only knew how to erase the Colt on the pink background before posting this!
    Attached Images Attached Images