Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cracked M1 Stock

Shooting Saturday and was clicking right along and then about the second shot out of the third clip, the rifle doubled. In all my years I've never had a Garand double. After that it kept shooting without any noticeable problems. Put an additional three or four clips through the rifle and took it back to a table. Walked away from it and when I returned I noticed a large crack in the stock. It went from the rear center of the receiver, down the right side of the rifle and forward to the rear of the trigger guard. There was no crack when I first started shooting it.

Question is: Did the double cause the crack, or was the crack already there and caused the doubling of the rifle? I never noticed the crack until well after shooting, about twenty minutes.

Anybody got any experience like this?

Default Doubles

Quote Originally Posted by remus View Post
    Shooting Saturday and was clicking right along and then about the second shot out of the third clip, the rifle doubled. In all my years I've never had a Garand double. After that it kept shooting without any noticeable problems. Put an additional three or four clips through the rifle and took it back to a table. Walked away from it and when I returned I noticed a large crack in the stock. It went from the rear center of the receiver, down the right side of the rifle and forward to the rear of the trigger guard. There was no crack when I first started shooting it.

Question is: Did the double cause the crack, or was the crack already there and caused the doubling of the rifle? I never noticed the crack until well after shooting, about twenty minutes.

Anybody got any experience like this?
    I had a Garand double and then a hole clip go full auto, the stock was too tight inside. I relieved the stock and the double went away. I would guess the stock broke and put pressure on the internal parts to cause the doubles. Good luck trying to find a new stock. Nice stocks are hard to find.
    Rich

Remus:

Unless you need to rebuild to "as issued" condition, new stocks from ODCMP, Dupage. If you want to be recreating. Gunparts Corp (Numrich) sells cartouche stamps to recreate the stampings. And they sell Used GI, and Nato stocks.

C-90

CMP sells new stocks.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by Richard H Brown Jr View Post
    Remus:

Unless you need to rebuild to "as issued" condition, new stocks from ODCMP, Dupage. If you want to be recreating. Gunparts Corp (Numrich) sells cartouche stamps to recreate the stampings. And they sell Used GI, and Nato stocks.

C-90
    Putting fake stamps on stocks is probably the most despised practice in all of firearm collecting

I guess nothing ventured nothing gained. Does anyone know of a glue that can be used to glue stocks. The stock is split not completely in half and is in one piece. If I can glue and clamp it and have it hold that would be as good a cure as a new, old, stock. I don't feel like messing with the metal parts and all. I'm in to easy. Never going to sell the rifle and not interested in making it WWll original. Just usable.

Thin Super Glue. The thin stuff penetrates deep into small cracks.

OR

Gorilla Glue

I have used both products on wood stocks and they work well if you follow the directions.
    Torquing the stock to open up the crack helps the glue penetrate.

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

Quote Originally Posted by Latigo 1 View Post
    Putting fake stamps on stocks is probably the most despised practice in all of firearm collecting
    I couldn't agree more!
    We have a "vendor" that works the shows in So. Cal. that deals in "enhanced" WWII U.S. firearms. His products are force-matched, with bogus cartouches.
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

I meant recreating the stamps and acceptance punches from the old stock onto the new one, AND stamping 'Reproduction Stock' on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Latigo 1 View Post
    I quite agree. In the military, when a stock is damaged, they issue a "Field Replacement" stock, which would have no stampings. Recreating a stamp on a new stock is no different than faking something. However, I guess if it was clearly marked "Reproduction" as Richard suggested... then I guess it would at least let everyone know that it's not legitimate.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo