1. Default Drop tube and Trapdoor reloading.

I note several board members have mentioned using a 24" drop when reloading 45-70. How critical is that ?

I believe it is just another - and probably more "traditional" - way to increase charge density. Similar results are achieved by using a compression plug before seating the bullet. Bottom line, no matter how you go about doing it, you want to remove as much air as possible from any BP load.

Dick nailed it. I started with a drop tube then went to a compression die. Personally I liked the compression die better but I think it's more of a personal choice and some people are more traditionalist at heart. For me the biggest factor was getting my bullet size right since my gun has a nice bore but big. .461 if memory serves.

I use both the drop tube and compression die. That's just me tho. I made my own 24" drop tube out of 3/8" OD copper tube with a small plastic funnel on top all held in a walnut stand.

I use a drop tube and compression die also but they are long range target loads for BPCR shooting.

The thought is that the drop tube results in a more uniform powder column while the compression die has more effect on the top of the column. For trapdoors, I wouldn't bother with a drop tube. It just won't make much difference.

So does anyone else feel like they get better groups marginally with the compression die over drop tube or is it just me. All else stayed the same. I only have one trapdoor so it's not a good test group by any stretch, I'm just curious if anyone else saw those results.

It makes a difference for me, in both the 45-70 and 38-55. Drop tube alone just wasn't getting it done. Upping the loads and compressing made a big difference.

Usually with upper BP loads a compression die is necessary. A drop tube is not necessary.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    I use both the drop tube and compression die. That's just me tho. I made my own 24" drop tube out of 3/8" OD copper tube with a small plastic funnel on top all held in a walnut stand.
    Ditto here. I use both.

Short video. Hey, I was bored! And a friend asked for my reloading flow!

https://vimeo.com/181567323