Default WW2 Vet and my M1

I see a videos on you tube where WW2 veterans are taken flying in the planes they flew during the war. Nothing on that scale but I got to let a WW2 veteran shoot my M1 on the first day I revived it from the DCM.

I was out shooting my new rifle on the ditch bank just east of town and Otto stopped to see what I was up to. He was surprised to see a M1 and told me that he used one during WW2. I handed him the rifle and believe me he was all smiles. When he started to had the rifle back I gave him a clip and my ear muffs. A couple of polite I couldn't use up your ammunition and then it was game on.

Even though it had been forty years since he last used a M1 he sure didn't miss a beat. Anytime I would pick out a target at any range he could put one right on target. Really a amazing shot.

Now days when I decorate graves for memorial day I see Ottos stone not far from my family's burial plots. I always remember when we shot together and I think we both shared a great day.

2. Default

Great reflection of days gone by. Thank you for sharing it.
    Not many "Ottos" are still with us and those that are certainly are not capable of firing "their" battle rifle.
    God Bless all those that served.....and have done so when called upon..... and continue doing so today.

My Dad served in the Pacific theater during WW2. I had bought a WW2 Remington 03A3 and handed it to him. He was impressed, but, said his rifle had the rear sight in front of the receiver. He had a 1903 I assumed.

I once handed a great Uncle (Army, Guadalcanal and Green Islands). He shoved it back to me and told me in no uncertain terms that, he , "... don't want to touch one of them d@mned things ever again!..."

A few years afterwards, just last year, when he learned of my son's enlistment, he opened up and told me some interesting, (and some pretty "hard") tales. He passed on, early this year at 92, having taken his wifey on a road trip to/from Dallas and repaired his own roof just a couple months prior.

Rest in Peace, Uncle Junior. That was his actual name. The Army wouldn't accept it and he had to pick a new name on the spot at the in-processing center... one of his tales.

Tommy