Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M1917 Bolt Markings

Hi,
    I have a question about a bolt I recently bought to go with the Criterion re-barrel on my Win. M1917. (Yes, I'm saving the orig. bolt and barrel with the rifle). It was sold as an Eddy./Win marked bolt. Price was ok and I wanted it for the project. I'm curious about the markings on the bolt handle. Using JC Harrison's book as reference, the interior has a small Eddystone Parts Mark Type Two, and the top has a W Win. parts mark with the top of the W facing right, and most of a ord. bomb. Oddly, the part of the bomb mark that is visible looks like what Harrison says is a Win. bbl. mark, not what he shows as a bolt handle mark. The flame lines are more pronounced and go all the way down to the bomb. All bolt parts except the bolt shroud are W. There is no NS.

I suppose it could be an older fake mark, but the bolt was pretty dirty from firing and the work not worth it for the money. The W looks exactly like W's on my other W parts. I can't compare too well with my W bolt because mine was stamped top and bottom with serial nos. (L Lease gun).

Thanks for any comments - I won't be disappointed either way.

Dave

A photo might help.

I'll try. While I was sick, Photobucket seems to have forgotten me and all my pix are gone. Guess I'll sign up again.

Miracle - got my pix back on Photobucket. The rear of the bolt handle has an Eagle stamp with 1 digits under - I can only read the last - 5. there is also a distinct peen mark near it. i noticed that the tops of the 2 bends on the bolt handle have the finish worn off but there are no sand or grind marks. At any rate, I have W bolt shroud for it and the rest of the bolt parts are W. I'll probably always wonder about it, but I'm glad I didn't buy it to make a rifle manuf. matching. Oh - these pix are from the seller.

Dave

I believe your bolt was made by Eddystone. My Winchester M1917 has all Winchester parts except for an unmarked replacement stock and a bolt which was also made by Eddystone. It has an "E" stamped on the underside of the bolt handle, same as yours. Looking at the upper side of my bolt handle, mine has a flaming bomb and a "G" stamped in the exact same spot where yours is stamped with a flaming bomb and a "W." The G and W are probably the initials of the inspector. The sleeve on your bolt is also marked with an E. Remove the firing pin assembly and see if the striker and cocking piece are also marked with an E.

Certain W parts are often scarce and finding a complete W bolt that still head spaces well can be next to impossible (per my experience).

Update: www.M1917.com is an excellent all-around sight for milsurp collectors. Look under "Marks" and click on "M1917 Parts" for a listing of M1917 maker's marks and stamping locations.
    Last edited by Merc; 10-25-2016 at 11:57. Reason: Darn auto correct

Thanks Merc. All the other bolt parts (besides the sleeve) are W. I have a W sleeve for it. I'll see if it headspaces in my rifle and if so - it will look better than a bolt with the wrong serial nos. stamped on it (diff. on top and bottom, and peened). It will give me a chance to use a buffer I've had for a long time, to see if I can make it unmarked and then use it with the Criterion bbl.
    Dave

PS I sent a note to the guys at WWW.1903.com. If they answer I'll share the info.

Quote Originally Posted by FCPDAVE View Post
    Thanks Merc. All the other bolt parts (besides the sleeve) are W. I have a W sleeve for it. I'll see if it headspaces in my rifle and if so - it will look better than a bolt with the wrong serial nos. stamped on it (diff. on top and bottom, and peened). It will give me a chance to use a buffer I've had for a long time, to see if I can make it unmarked and then use it with the Criterion bbl.
    Davenport

PS I sent a note to the guys at WWW.1903.com. If they answer I'll share the info.
    I meant to type www.m1903.com - that's the sight for milsurp info, but my mind shifted into neutral.

Keep in mind the head space on these is o the far edn of field reject, its a military and not your normal SAMMI setup.

A no gauge with freezer tape is a good subsittue for field reject.

You need to remove the firing pin to do that test, it will destroy a gauge due tot he powerful cam on it you cant feel with the cock on close setup active.

Bolt will almost close completely on field reject .

Nothing wrong with that, you want to watch sharing of brass as it will work it hard if you move it around between a modern tight SAMMI chamber and one of those.

I just keep the brass separate and use range pickup brass for it. FC is great as its throw away after 8 rounds (even with annealing)

Bullet seating is quite long in those if you play with COAL.

I gave up on the project - don't want to ruin the W bbl. getting it off. I hadn't thought of that. I plan to sell the Criterion bbl. and this bolt some time.

Dave