Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The 1895 was a tremendous sporting rifle. For military use, it probably was less so, especially given the conditions in the trenches of WWI. Your rifle is a wonderful piece of that bygone era when the futures of nations turned on the bolts of the rifles used by those men. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

The "XN3" you reference, and show, are pronounced as "Kh" for the X…."i" for the N (which is Russian for "and" which is why it is lower case)…and "Z" for the 3. I suspect they are first initials of inspectors "Kh and Z." Now, who's got access to the list of inspectors?!
    Kh_i_Z.jpg
    Kh_i_Z_2.jpg
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

3. Default

Thanks for all the replies; I emailed several Russian Armed Forces/Firearms museums asking for info about the rifle and the XN3 marking; it'll be interesting to see if I get any answers.

As to head space with these rifles. Any of them need to be checked if they were chambered for anything near as strong as a 7.62x54 or 30-06. In fact the two I had over the years in 30-40 Krag both had head space issues.

5. Default

Per Cody Firearms Records WINCHESTER MODEL 1895 - SERIAL NUMBER 283932 applied on May 20, 1916.

6. Default

Finally found a nice bayonet for this rifle:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    The 1895 was a tremendous sporting rifle. For military use, it probably was less so, especially given the conditions in the trenches of WWI. Your rifle is a wonderful piece of that bygone era when the futures of nations turned on the bolts of the rifles used by those men. Sincerely. bruce.
    The Eastern front was not the stagnant trench warfare of the West.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Default Russian Winchester M95

Though I don't own one . . . nor ever handled one of the Russian contract rifles . . . . I always wondered . . . .
    Do these rifles ever experience "rim-lock" when loading from the stripper clip?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter5 View Post
    That sure is neat! Wonder how and why it ended up here? The cartridge is very versatile and has had amazing longevity. I have had a few fired my way LoL.
    In the 1950's outfits like Ye Old Hunter/Hunter's Lodge, and others imported them when they were gathering surplus military arms from around the world. Whether they came direct from Russia or a satellite country I do not know. Most were the worst for wear, with a good one occasionally found. Something close to 300,000 were shipped to Russia in the 1915/1916 time period.

The warning about headspace should be heeded. The receivers were prone to stretching with some of the newer smokeless powder loads.