Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

VNS = Viners, and B = BSA.

Merc, I would suggest picking up a copy of 'The Broad Arrow' by Skennerton. While not complete, it's the most comprehensive listing of British markings available in one package.

Thanks about the Cubs. I'm only one of millions who feel this way.
    My father lived through 4 prior Cubs World Series appearances. Too young to really recall 1932. Remembers '35, '38, and ,'45. Thankfully he's still here to see a win in 2016.
    He's a lifelong Cubs fan and baseball fan. Grew up a couple of blocks from Wrigley as did I. He first introduced me to Ernie Banks at a Cubs vs Milwaukee Braves game when I was a youngster. Then dragged me with him to Milwaukee when the Braves won the Series in '57. So glad I can share this with him. Better than the time I first bought him a beer.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    VNS = Viners, and B = BSA.

Merc, I would suggest picking up a copy of 'The Broad Arrow' by Skennerton. While not complete, it's the most comprehensive listing of British markings available in one package.

Thanks about the Cubs. I'm only one of millions who feel this way.
    My father lived through 4 prior Cubs World Series appearances. Too young to really recall 1932. Remembers '35, '38, and ,'45. Thankfully he's still here to see a win in 2016.
    He's a lifelong Cubs fan and baseball fan. Grew up a couple of blocks from Wrigley as did I. He first introduced me to Ernie Banks at a Cubs vs Milwaukee Braves game when I was a youngster. Then dragged me with him to Milwaukee when the Braves won the Series in '57. So glad I can share this with him. Better than the time I first bought him a beer.
    JB,

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully, it's still being published and available.

I happened to be in Chicago on business many years ago when the Cubs played the first night game under the lights. I remember what a big deal it was.

First try or second try? They got rained out during the first attempt!
    The Statler Brothers had to change some song lyrics because of those lights.

When pigs fly.
    When Hell freezes over.
    When the lights come on at Wrigley....scratch than one.

Not real sure. We watched from a hotel bar which was packed.

Just to get back on track. Did they have Enfield butt plates in the vending machines?

Your Canadian friends to the North did not and never have cared about who made what part that went on what rifle. Our Weapons Techs, factory workies and troopies didn't care about whether or not a rifle ever got rebuilt. If it worked it was good enough.
    A Small or Bantam butt is the same size as a Normal or Long except for the length.
    With Enfields in general parts on 'em depends a great deal on who imported the thing, Stateside, and when too.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Your Canadian friends to the North did not and never have cared about who made what part that went on what rifle. Our Weapons Techs, factory workies and troopies didn't care about whether or not a rifle ever got rebuilt. If it worked it was good enough.
    A Small or Bantam butt is the same size as a Normal or Long except for the length.
    With Enfields in general parts on 'em depends a great deal on who imported the thing, Stateside, and when too.
    So, my Savage No. 4 Mk 1* (previously pictured) was imported to the US. There are no import stampings on it.

I recently saw a No. 4 Mk 1* for sale that had "CAI Georgia, Vermont" stamped on the action. I assume Century Arms Intl. was the importer. I didn't see the odd initial or the date stamped near the serial number so it may have eluded the rebuilding process. This one had the alloy butt plate and looked rough and possibly all original. The serial number indicated it was made in 1943.
    Last edited by Merc; 01-06-2017 at 11:10.

You would only find the importers billboard markings on rifles imported after the 1986 lift of the ban on foreign surplus arms. Prior to that the only import marking would have been the pre-1968 country of origin. Like the word 'ENGLAND" stamped on it. It seems many of the earlier rifles escaped those markings. Depends upon who and/or when it was brought back in.

Suffice to say that any British service arm on the surplus was imported into the USA by one means or another whether it was made in the USA or not. It could have also come from a host of different countries beside the UK who also used the Enfield rifle.
    Post 1986 the markings varied in both location and size. On the action, on the barrel, above and below the wood line. Some were stamped while others were etched. The etched ones could be touched up with cold blue thereby hiding all visible traces. (Instant "non-import marked" rifle!) It took a few years before the BATF settled on an exact rule which they said they would enforce and meant it.

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    You would only find the importers billboard markings on rifles imported after the 1986 lift of the ban on foreign surplus arms. Prior to that the only import marking would have been the pre-1968 country of origin. Like the word 'ENGLAND" stamped on it. It seems many of the earlier rifles escaped those markings. Depends upon who and/or when it was brought back in.

Suffice to say that any British service arm on the surplus was imported into the USA by one means or another whether it was made in the USA or not. It could have also come from a host of different countries beside the UK who also used the Enfield rifle.
    Post 1986 the markings varied in both location and size. On the action, on the barrel, above and below the wood line. Some were stamped while others were etched. The etched ones could be touched up with cold blue thereby hiding all visible traces. (Instant "non-import marked" rifle!) It took a few years before the BATF settled on an exact rule which they said they would enforce and meant it.
    Thanks for the informative and interesting reply.

I heard that a Brass buttplate was a sign that the rifle was issued by the Royal Navy.

I think they look great.