Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Yep that's how my 45 Longbranch looks with the 52 rebuild stamp. Mine is below the serial number a little bit more centered. IVe seen them both ways. Everything I've read says this the trait of a Canadian rebuild.

VNS is a manufacturers marking same as the B on the rear sight.
    Your rifle picked up a lot of British parts when serviced.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

So, Savage made my No. 4 in 1944 and the Canadians rebuilt it in 1951. That answers another question. They could have replaced the alloy butt plate with the brass butt plate. The "48" that's stamped on the rear of the plate could be 1948 so the timing is correct. It's still a very accurate rifle. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    How about one more question. I have a #4 Savage made that has a brass butt plate but the plate is too small for the stock and doesn't fit properly. What would this plate belong on?
    Tuna,

Check out www.ssporters.com for No. 4 butt plates. They show an original Savage alloy No. 4 plate for your rifle.
    Last edited by Merc; 10-20-2016 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    So, Savage made my No. 4 in 1944 and the Canadians rebuilt it in 1951. That answers another question. They could have replaced the alloy butt plate with the brass butt plate. The "48" that's stamped on the rear of the plate could be 1948 so the timing is correct. It's still a very accurate rifle. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    So, the British and Canadians did the same as their US counterparts when it came to mixing parts during the rebuild process. Doesn't surprise me. Just glad it still works as intended.

Yep they didnt care about us collectors back then, just good working rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Tuna,

Check out www.ssporters.com for No. 4 butt plates. They show an original Savage alloy No. 4 plate for your rifle.
    Merc,

Thank you for the information. I will check with them for a replacement. But the one I have now is far too short as the lower hole for the screw doesn't even line up. Not even close. I had just wondered what it was for as it is a butt plate off an Enfield of some kind. This #4 is my Granddaughters favorite large bolt rifle and she is darned accurate with it.

I just measured my brass butt plate from my No. 4 with my digital calipers and the dimensions are:

Length - 4.677"
    Width - 1.562"
    Hole center to center - 3.000"
    Last edited by Merc; 10-20-2016 at 07:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Merc,

Thank you for the information. I will check with them for a replacement. But the one I have now is far too short as the lower hole for the screw doesn't even line up. Not even close. I had just wondered what it was for as it is a butt plate off an Enfield of some kind. This #4 is my Granddaughters favorite large bolt rifle and she is darned accurate with it.
    Maybe JB or Sunray will recognize your brass plate if you post a front/back photo and list the stampings on the back. Ssporters also lists No. 4 brass plates in case you want to keep the look.

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    JB,

Do you know what manf. used the initials VNS and B? Which parts on the rifle were British made? Half the fun of owning an old No. 4 is knowing everything there is to know.

BTW, sweet win for the Cubs last night. Finally put the curse to rest.
    Last edited by Merc; 11-03-2016 at 07:56.