Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Brass butt plate

I've always wondered, with all the commodity shortages during WW2, why did Savage make and install a brass butt plate on my Savage 1944 No. 4 Mk 1*? I've seen other Savage No. 4 Mk1* rifles with alloy butt plates. Brass was in high demand for making ammo in 44.

Is your buttplate from Savage? What markings are on it? Look inside the trap door too.
    The alloy buttplates were a substitute standard and they did not weather the test of time very well. A great many alloy buttplates, including British, were eventually replaced with brass due to cracking and/or deterioration.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Is your buttplate from Savage? What markings are on it? Look inside the trap door too.
    The alloy buttplates were a substitute standard and they did not weather the test of time very well. A great many alloy buttplates, including British, were eventually replaced with brass due to cracking and/or deterioration.
    JB,

I've removed the brass butt plate from my No. 4 several times and never noticed the following stampings on the inside surface:

Plate:

F

Trapdoor:

F
    F265

It's a British replacement. So, now you know.

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    It's a British replacement. So, now you know.
    JB,

That answers one question and spawns several others. So, Savage originally furnished their No. 4s with an alloy butt plate? Does the "F" stamped on the rear mean that Fazakerley made the replacement brass butt plate? Does the "48" stamped on the rear indicate that it was made in 1948? Did Enfield stamp rebuild dates anywhere on the No. 4? Reason I'm asking, there's a "51" and a "K" (or possibly an "R") stamped on the wrist band near the serial number which I suspect is 1951 and an inspector or an armory ID Mark. Any idea what the 3 digit codes stamped on the rear of the brass butt plate and trap door mean and why the Brits decided against using steel butt plates like everyone else and turned to brass.
    Last edited by Merc; 10-20-2016 at 03:27.

The stamped number on the wrist I'll risk a guess without a picture. Year of rebuild by our Canadian Friends to the north. They did not use the FTR mark our English friends to the east did. It's my understanding the Canadians were not always good at marking rebuilds. The English were a different story. I have a No 4 Longbranch all matching numbers but Forewood. Wrist is 52 marked. Forewood and one hand guard is walnut. I'm guessing the rest is beech or another light wood. Stained close to match. The original serial number in Forewood is struck out by a single line. No other serial number was added. She is a solid shooter and still wears her 1945 barrel. During the 52 rebuild it looks like it got some new wood and refinished metal.
    Last edited by p246; 10-19-2016 at 09:45.

How about one more question. I have a #4 Savage made that has a brass butt plate but the plate is too small for the stock and doesn't fit properly. What would this plate belong on?

There should be a small margin of wood beyond the edges of the plate. They weren't built to be flush to the edges. The wood typically "wore in" while in service. If you have a Normal or Long buttstock, that margin might be more generous than a fit to a Small or Bantam butt.

So long as you have a rounded tang (as opposed to a triangular tang for the SMLE), it's just the norm for a No4.

Here are a few photo of my 1944 Savage No. 4. The "51" is right above the serial number on the wrist band. I assume "VNS" and "B" are inspector marks.

100_4006.jpg100_3989.jpg100_3990.jpg100_3991.jpg100_3953.jpg
    Last edited by Merc; 10-20-2016 at 09:05.

Last edited by Merc; 10-20-2016 at 09:05.