Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    Thank you Mr. Beard.

How much of a detraction would be an 03 with a Greek pinned floorplate since they are modified US parts? Would it be similar to an 03 receiver drilled and tapped for a lyman sight?

Thanks
    BEAR
    In coming years, I do not believe the Greek rifles with "B" pinned floorplates will suffer much detraction in value. The Greek rifles are a well-documented and accepted collection venue within themselves. The rifles have all U.S. parts and, in the long run, should have value competitive with comparable U.S. overhauled rifles.

A drilled and tapped rifle, on the other hand, will never recover much value.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 10-24-2016 at 09:48.

My grateful thanks to Mr. Beard, Rick, PhillipM and Chris W. for your time and replies. After getting over my initial shock at finding out that I had purchased a Greek return 03, I have had my faith restored by your comments. It was a feeling akin to finding out that your newly purchased Rolex has "Made in China" stamped on the back (well, maybe not THAT bad a feeling). At least this rifle doesn't have "Made in China" stamped on the receiver.

BEAR

Years ago, Lend/Lease or British Remington M1903 rifles with NZ property stamps or red bands were an anathema to collectors. Now they're hot items with premium values. While I do not predict the same for Greek rifles (because there's too many of them and they're not in great condition), the same value-holding principle will apply.

J.B.

To me, perhaps a better comparison were the so-called "Blue Sky" imports of the 1980s, at least as far as condition. Like them, I think you judge each rifle on its individual merits or problems.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Don't know about the value on mine, but I bought it as a shooter. It looked freshly rebuilt with a almost unfired barrel. Parkerizing was fresh and unblemished, no wear on metal surfaces. wood was a little rough, of course the numbers didn't match, but otherwise, a great rifle. If I had a complaint, it was only the preservation grease was so thick, and long term, think it preserved it well. I guess it would come down to what you paid for it and what you are looking to get out of it. ( shooter or collector ) When I got mine from the CMP it was $400 to my door. I think I got my monies worth.
    Chris