Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default greek return serial numbers

Does CMP have a list of all serial numbers for the Greek returned 03s and A3s?

Beats me - would be an interesting thing to see if they did!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

The CMP maintains a master list of all rifles received and sold. But I doubt that it shows where each rifle originated from. The CMP has received rifles from several different sources, including the Greeks and VFW/American Legion posts.

If I can remember, I will ask next time I go there.

J.B.

John and Rick, thank you for your response.
    I was curious about the number of Greek returns that were converted back to all US parts and if they could be tracked by serial number since they have no import stamps.
    I just aquired a SA 1903 serial number in the 1.4 range (barrel SA 7-33) with all US parts except the Greek pinned trigger guard and and floor plate. It also has a strange follower that looks like a 1903 milled but has an additional piece that does not allow the bolt to lock open after the last shot.
    Thanks again.
    BEAR

Blog Entries

The Greek returns had all US made parts, unless you want to count biscuits and pins for stock repair.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Yes, I should have said "original parts" instead of "US parts".

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    John and Rick, thank you for your response.
    I was curious about the number of Greek returns that were converted back to all US parts and if they could be tracked by serial number since they have no import stamps.
    I just aquired a SA 1903 serial number in the 1.4 range (barrel SA 7-33) with all US parts except the Greek pinned trigger guard and and floor plate. It also has a strange follower that looks like a 1903 milled but has an additional piece that does not allow the bolt to lock open after the last shot.
    Thanks again.
    BEAR
    Most Greek rifles had been overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts by the Greeks. With rare exception, all parts were original U.S. parts. The CMP inspected the rifles and instigated repairs where necessary. Most rifles, however, passed inspection without repairs. The pinned trigger guards and floorplates are actually original U.S. parts. The Greeks merely drilled and pinned the floorplates to the trigger guards.

J.B.

Thank you Mr. Beard.

How much of a detraction would be an 03 with a Greek pinned floorplate since they are modified US parts? Would it be similar to an 03 receiver drilled and tapped for a lyman sight?

Thanks
    BEAR

I'm sure the CMP has sales by SN, but not much more than that. I have one in my safe, and one of the easiest ways to identify one is on the bolt you would find a SN that, most likely does not match the rifle. Also, the stock had SN's stamped into the wood that would be unlikely to match the SN of the rifle. My understanding of what happened was most were rebuilt at one time, parts stripped off and thrown into a parts bin, rifles assembled with no regard to re-matching the SN's. All good, headspaced, but not matching.
    Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    Thank you Mr. Beard.

How much of a detraction would be an 03 with a Greek pinned floorplate since they are modified US parts? Would it be similar to an 03 receiver drilled and tapped for a lyman sight?

Thanks
    BEAR
    It's not as bad as a d&t receiver. The B stamped on the floor plate that is Greek for pinned shut is the biggest problem.

The worst thing, in my humble opinion, is the grease soaked wood.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur