Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Refurbished M1905 Bayonets

Who did the work to refurbish WW1 M1905 bayonets into M1942 configuration (i.e., parkerized, plastic grips, M3 scabbard). How many were done?
    "Man is not free unless government is limited." -- Ronald Reagan

For your reading pleasure. I think the answer is in here.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayonet_points.htm
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cwbuff View Post
    Who did the work to refurbish WW1 M1905 bayonets into M1942 configuration (i.e., parkerized, plastic grips, M3 scabbard). How many were done?
    All 1905 bayonets were recalled to be parkerized in 1917. I presume RIA and SA did the work. I also presume plastic grips were added for replacements as needed during WW2. No need to replace serviceable Wood grips till they were damaged.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Thanks for the info!
    "Man is not free unless government is limited." -- Ronald Reagan

Default SA 1905 bayonet

Some remained as issue (which is nice for collectors) such as this SA 1913 bayonetP1010001_0001.jpgP1010031_0026.jpgP1010032_0027.jpg

An unusual 1943 dated Union Fork & Hoe M1 made from an unfinished 16" M1905 blank. The grips are the red/brown variation.

Quote Originally Posted by cwbuff View Post
    Most of the manufacturers of the M1905 and M1 bayonets also modified the 16 inch bayonets to the 10" configuration in WWII. Most of those are marked with the contractors initials, but Springfield also modified some in the same time frame that are apparently not marked. The modified bayonets will be found with OL, PAL, UC, AFH, and UFH markings in addition to the original markings.

The original configuration was the spear point, but some of the bayonets had square fullers, and when brought to a spear point the point was so thin that it was easily broken. The change was made to the "Bowie" style tips which was stronger.

From 1942 thru 1948 approximately 280,000 were modified by shortening the blade and changing to the plastic grips.

This is a "transitional" piece made from a M1905 forging and finished as a M1. Some with dates, some not.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    Some remained as issue (which is nice for collectors) such as this SA 1913 bayonetP1010001_0001.jpgP1010031_0026.jpgP1010032_0027.jpg
    I hope to land one of those bright blade M1905 bayonets with the bluing and rough grips someday. They are not so common.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    For your reading pleasure. I think the answer is in here.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayonet_points.htm
    Great sight. Lots of bayonet info. Thanks for posting.