Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winchester Model 69A

Looking at the Model 75, I noticed the absence of a serial number and that reminded me of my 69A. I've looked all over that rifle short of removing the stock and I cannot find the serial number. It has a close fitting Weaver scope but I doubt the number is hidden beneath it. Any thoughts?
    Chaz

2. Default

Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, serial numbers were not required on .22 rifles and I believe on shotguns, as I remember it.
    Last edited by Cosine26; 10-12-2016 at 09:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Looking at the Model 75, I noticed the absence of a serial number . . .
    Huh? It's visible (a bit out of focus) in the usual place on the right side of the receiver ring.

Quote Originally Posted by pmclaine View Post
    Serial number is in the 80180 range. . .

There is a serial number on the 75.

On my sons 67A Boys Rifle though....no number

Most companies did not put them on inexpensive .22's but did on their more expensive guns. I do not think serials were required on any guns by the Gov. until 1968. Moss. did not put them on any of their .22 rifles. They were used for the convenience of the manufacturer, in case of problems with the design or manufacture changes.
    You can never go home again.

serial numbers were not required on 22lr rifles and shotguns. I think they were required on handguns and maybe centerfire rifles. Can't remember ever seeing a centerfire rifle or handgun without a serial number. The model 69/69a was discontinued in 1963, well before the GCA68.

NFA firearms were required to have serial numbers starting in 1934, but other firearms were not required by law to have serial numbers. The military required serial numbers on all their contract weapons, and most companies had been using serial numbers for years before it was required. As noted, quite a few inexpensive firearms did not have serial numbers until the 1968 requirement.

8. Default

My Winchester M-69 has no serial number, my M-74 and M-77 do. Seems to have been a matter of corporate SOP at the time. My Remington 552 has no S/N.

Mossberg did not use them on any .22 before 68, do not remember if their shot guns did.
    You can never go home again.

Dave, does that apply to all Mossberg .22's as indicated or just commercial variants? My 44US riles as well as my 144US have serial numbers and I believe they were all made before 1968, just trying to confirm. I believe my Mossberg shotgun was made post 68 and it has a serial number as expected. Regards,