Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Should I start reloading again?

I reloaded ammo quite a few years ago. Sold all my equipment because I did not have a place to shoot. Now I'm thinking about getting back into it, cartridges are .308 and .38 Special.

I don't shoot that much or often, so I think the Lee Loader would be ok for me.

I'm struggling with cost. Bullets seem expensive, and when I factor that in to my math, and right now I can find 20 rounds of .308 for 10 - 12 dollars, it does not seem worth getting into reloading again. Am I missing something? Is there a source of lower priced bullets out there?

The price around here for 308 is around $20 a box

Find a few catalogs like Midway, etc. Price out bulk items like primer, powder, bullet (most expensive component). Save shells from commercial ammo. Figure out price per round using reloads vs commercial rounds.

Problem is you now have to buy new reloading equipment. Depending on how little or how much you reload, it just might not be economical to reload.

There is commercial rounds out there that is inexpensive but watch out for the quality of it. Some are cheap because they're not meant to be reloaded.

Blog Entries

Are you target shooting, hunting, or plinking with the 308? Makes a big difference in bullet selection.

Search pulled or surplus bullets if plinking
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

If your hunting with your 308 only....no. Plinking...no buy cheap ammo. One of the guys who occasionally comes out and shoots with us buys perfecta. He does decent with it. Target shooting your 308 then yes I would. As far as .38 I reload cast only and pick up brass from our range so it's cheaper for me to reload. Right now ammo is available again and one can find some deals. The next drought might be years away or tomorrow. That's when reloading pays.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    If your hunting with your 308 only....no. Plinking...no buy cheap ammo. One of the guys who occasionally comes out and shoots with us buys perfecta. He does decent with it. Target shooting your 308 then yes I would. As far as .38 I reload cast only and pick up brass from our range so it's cheaper for me to reload. Right now ammo is available again and one can find some deals. The next drought might be years away or tomorrow. That's when reloading pays.
    I'm plinking so I'm thinking that reloading is not my best option right now. Perfecta works well in the rifle (Savage Hog Hunter). Wolf steel case is even better. Tula works but where the bullet goes is kind of a guess. Thanks for the input all!

The Lee Loader will do if you're not shooting a semi-auto, pump or lever action. Those require FL resizing every time. The Lee Loader only neck sizes. Throw those silly scoops away and buy a scale too.
    "...I can find 20 rounds of .308 for 10-12 dollars..." Reloading isn't about saving money. It's about using the best possible ammo. That $10 to $12 ammo may or may not shoot well out of your rifle. If you're not reloading, you really need to try a box of as many brands and bullet weights(think 165's first) as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of it means nothing. Ditto for the .38.
    "...Bullets seem expensive..." Sort of. Roughly 30 cents each per 100. Approximately 60 cents each at $12 per 20.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I shoot hundreds of rounds per year. I own several handguns and long guns, so, reloading works for me. I bought my reloading tools years ago when the cost didn't drain my bank account. I would not want to buy those tools today at today's prices.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    I shoot hundreds of rounds per year. I own several handguns and long guns, so, reloading works for me. I bought my reloading tools years ago when the cost didn't drain my bank account. I would not want to buy those tools today at today's prices.
    It kinda makes me wonder why people think a Dillon 550b is so expensive. It comes with a powder measure, a priming tool, and one caliber conversion kit consisting of a shell holder plate and in the case of a pistol, a flaring die/powder funnel.

This keeps one from buying a flaring die, a powder measure, a loading block, and a priming tool separately
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

You can buy 500 bullets from Wideners for $80. The limiting components are primers and powder. I can find primers locally but the powder I like is hard to find and I don't want to buy it in a 8lb jug. If you can get powder and primers locally then reload. Look at a Lee O Frame and check Ebay out for used gear.

I'd cast my own bullets for the 38.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy