Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

The Ma Deuce is a gun with a soul. I commanded two Mechanized Rifle Companies, on in the States and one in Viet Nam. A Mechanized Rifle Company had a pot full of M113 Armored Personnel Carriers -- 4 per platoon, plus the HQ and Mortar Platoon and a couple of others for the medic and mechanics. So we had 20 Ma Deuces.

I liked to get the M113s into action in a real fight and turn those Ma Deuces loose!

Was issued one in Marine Corps boot camp in 61, Has one in ITR at Lejeune. Was issued one for 18 months at Marine Barracks Gitmo, Plus a BAR. Carried that BAR and 12 loaded magazine for 62 days during the Cuban missile crises. Back then crew serves were kept in the armory, but our m_1s were in rifle racks in the squadbay
    Last edited by Randy; 12-04-2016 at 06:11.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    The Ma Deuce is a gun with a soul. I commanded two Mechanized Rifle Companies, on in the States and one in Viet Nam. A Mechanized Rifle Company had a pot full of M113 Armored Personnel Carriers -- 4 per platoon, plus the HQ and Mortar Platoon and a couple of others for the medic and mechanics. So we had 20 Ma Deuces.

I liked to get the M113s into action in a real fight and turn those Ma Deuces loose!
    I've wondered why the army didn't use them in the sandbox and went with the up armored humvee
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    By M2 you are referring to "Ma Deuce"...yes? Anyone who likes belt feds would love to spend some range time behind her.

Gunny
    Absolutely! I LOVED shooting the Ma Deuce... and I even have a .50 Cal can filled with 100 rounds of linked brass that I actually shot (wish it could be 100 rounds of linked live ammo, LOL). The Deuce was a pleasure to shoot. I had many repel drills where I had to run to sponson 6, set up, and man the gun! During my last deployment (Operation Desert Storm) they disbanded the Security Augmentation Forces, and we were replaced by Marines and Weapons Department personnel, and I just stuck to my normal duties. I still have my weapons qualification / SAF member card (complete with a use of deadly force statement on the back).
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I've wondered why the army didn't use them in the sandbox and went with the up armored humvee
    The HAMWAG (Half-Assed Medium Weight Ass Grinder) was meant to replace the Jeep and also the M37 Weapons carrier (the old Dodge Power Wagon) and was issued accordingly. As a general purpose vehicle, it wound up taking a lot of casualties -- and we didn't have enough M113s. But if we had, it would have been a great performer!