Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Question on Garands

How many of you folks were ISSUED ONE? lol
    1955-1958

I was. 2nd Infantry Training Regiment (ITR) at Camp Pendleton, Ca. in June of 1967. Also, the first week or so during boot camp at MCRD San Diego in March of 1967 - These were quickly replaced with M14s. Regards, Johnny Lawson

I have a HRA 0-66 Garand with a USMC hang tag on it saying it came from 2nd Infantry Training Regimeint around that time Johnny L.

I was issued a couple while assigned as a member of the Biggs AFB rifle team from 63 to 65.

I was issued an M1 at ITR Spring of 1966 at Camp Lejune.

I was issued one in 1965 boot camp, they made me ordinance P.O. I had to keep track of 50 m1's. Also carried one in the Navy drill team. It was light back then but is a little heavier now. I have 3 now. Rich

Sept 1958-holllywood Marine-Expert

My Dad was still doing annual requalification with the M1 at Camp Pendleton in 1966. That same year he fired the M14 for "familiarization".
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Being Navy, I was never issued a rifle. While aboard the USS Ranger CV-61, I was part of the Security Augmentation Forces (SAF) and qualified on the M14, M870, M60, and M2... and I was designated an M2 gunner. I did a lot of shooting with M14s and M60s though, shooting trash bags off the fantail!

Now my dad served in the Army in the mid 1950s and he was issued an IHA Garand. I would love to find that one (he knows the serial number).
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Shooter5 Guest

Not "issued" per se, however, but still in the arms room locker. At a current US Military training unit, a locker section for 'OPFOR' contains two M1 Garands along with an assortment of various small arms globally sourced (Opposition Forces - role players who simulate a wide variety of enemy units that conduct mock battles, etc against US Mil units). Since 3006 blanks are difficult to acquire from current inventory, they are most often used by 'guards' and the like since they cant shoot back. I have the pics/serial numbers.