Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

did you make the Hawaii exercise in early 61-I came from K-bay to 7th comm and went back again on that trip back where we did landings on one of the islands-A full blown landing--our barracks was on the opposite end of the mess hall at camp horno--way across the grinder there--our guy on the code machine was a cpl. Swartz
    Last edited by Litt'le Lee; 10-23-2016 at 05:24.

Cool

Still haven't found the card for the Garand, but here is the ser nrs for my M1 Carbine & M14:
    Carbine was an Inland #570013 and the M14 was a Winchester #197285. I qualified expert with both of these.
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF

Cpl Norton--4th Marines in K-bay-we had a Carbine with that early star-light scope--about as big as a thompson round mag and it had a huge battery pack connected by a big long cable

U.S. Rifle Cal. .30M1, serial number 4380578, issued to me at PISC Apr. 1956

Didn't make a Hawaii trip in early 1961, did make Exercise Greenlight (Phase III-Alpha) which took place starting early May and ending early June (Phase III-Bravo) was the end with 8 days of live fire at 29 Palms. You may have been on one of the early Phases. We had units supporting all operations in the Pacific during the early 60's. It was an interesting time with "Sub Units", Detachments, and Details going everywhere. Greenlight involved 42,000 personnel (Navy & Marine), 71 ships, 296 aircraft along with 4 minesweepers from the Royal Canadian Navy. Don't remember Cpl. Swartz but many names from that era are gone from my memory.

I was issued an M1 in Sept. of 62 in basic training at Ft. Ord. Qualified exp. with it. Advanced inf. I was issued an M14. We didn't qualify in ait. When I got to the 101st abn in Mar. of 63 I was issued an M14. Requaled exp.

I was issued an M1 for training at Ft. Knox for basic training in 1994. Other platoons were marching by with M14's. We thought the M14's were neater/lighter looking.

Does getting an M1 issued to me in ROTC in 1968-69 count? They replaced it with an M14 in 1970.

9. Default

John';
    I was issued one while undergoing Marine Phase Training at the
    USCG Training Facility at Cape May NJ.(13 weeks), JAN.1961.
    jonn (Bay of Pigs Yacht Club Member).

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Being Navy, I was never issued a rifle. While aboard the USS Ranger CV-61, I was part of the Security Augmentation Forces (SAF) and qualified on the M14, M870, M60, and M2... and I was designated an M2 gunner. I did a lot of shooting with M14s and M60s though, shooting trash bags off the fantail!

Now my dad served in the Army in the mid 1950s and he was issued an IHA Garand. I would love to find that one (he knows the serial number).
    By M2 you are referring to "Ma Deuce"...yes? Anyone who likes belt feds would love to spend some range time behind her.

Gunny