Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So, this No. 4 might have an interesting story to tell if it was used by the French resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by mhb View Post
    That is an interesting possibility, if difficult to prove. I believe that many of the Free French forces were armed with British equipment, and, later, U.S. gear. Still, a not-unlikely explanation.

mhb - Mike
    Mike,

Can you provide a full length photo of your unusual rifle?

Default I can try...

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Mike,

Can you provide a full length photo of your unusual rifle?
    if you think it would be useful, but there is nothing at all unusual about the rifle, so far as I can tell, except the one marking I asked about. It is marked as having been FTR'd in 1948, carries all the normal inspection and acceptance stamps on metal and wood, and is in excellent shape inside and out, with little evidence of use since rebuild.
    It would simplify things if you could specify what you'd like to see, exactly.

mhb - Mike
    Sancho! My armor!

The stampings and cartouches would be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    So, this No. 4 might have an interesting story to tell if it was used by the French resistance.
    Merc, don't get your hopes up. I feel pretty certain the French connection has been debunked. Makes for interesting conversation as conversation flows, but not worth persuing that angle.
    Seeing someone elses rifle isn't a bad thing though.
    However, in the Enfield world it's under the term "oddity" along with a host of other markings we still don't know anything about. As far as tracking it down you might want to look into the Italian angle before the French. The Italians recently released a batch of post-war No4's in nice shape. Most were stored by the Italian Navy and many were released as surplus with many being in near-new condition. Only mentioning that because it was the most recent "Enfield Find" so it's logical to start there and work back. Better than chasing ghosts down a road to nowhere, eh?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Default More photos...

Though I don't think they will add anything that might help resolve the issue. And, I have to apologize for the quality of the pics: partly the fault of my camera and skills, and partly due to the condition and/or locations of the markings, themselves.
    Still, I don't find anything but the normal British markings:

mhb - MikeDSC00531.jpgDSC00532.jpgDSC00534.jpgDSC00535.jpgDSC00536.jpg
    Sancho! My armor!

Default And a few more...

apparently, I couldn't add more than 5 attachments per submission...DSC00539.jpgDSC00541.jpgDSC00545.jpg

mhb - Mike
    Sancho! My armor!

Mike,

BTW, currently visiting my sister in Cave Creek.

Your No. 4 is in nice shape. It's interesting to see the British made version. JB is probably correct. We may never know its history.

My 1944 Savage-built No. 4 has no comparable marks on the wood except two small letters near the trigger guard which were probably inspector's initials. All other marks are on the metal parts. The black paint on the metal parts was nearly all gone when I bought it.