Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unknown (to me) mark on #4 stock...

I recently acquired a very nice 1948 FTR'd #4 Mk 1 (1943 Shirley). It has all the markings one would expect on such a rifle, but there is one I haven't seen before. I'm hoping someone else has...001.jpg

mhb - Mike
    Sancho! My armor!

BLB is associated to the Swedish Navy but I've never observed it on a L.E. Did the swedes possibly obtain some No.4s post WW2.

"...the Swedes possibly obtain some..." Not likely. They were busy using AG42's from 1942 onwards. And M96 Mausers before that. I'd guess it was put there by 'some guy'. And not at the same time.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Default Well...

I'd have to agree that the Swedish connection seems unlikely, and that there may be no real explanation available.
    Anyone else?

mhb - Mike
    Sancho! My armor!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...the Swedes possibly obtain some..." Not likely. They were busy using AG42's from 1942 onwards. And M96 Mausers before that. I'd guess it was put there by 'some guy'. And not at the same time.
    I figured a long shot. One of my friend collect swede rifles and bayonets. If memory served the BLB mark is only on his bayonets,,,But thought I'd throw it out.

Here's another long shot: The French term "BLB" refers to "Brigade Legere Blindee" or "Light Armored Brigade" with WW2 connections. Now, what the French would be doing with British No. 4 rifles is anyone's guess.

It's common to see US made military rifles with various stampings and cartouches on the stock. In my limited exposure to LE rifles I've only seen info stamped on metal rifle components so seeing something like this stamped on the stock probably means it was done by someone other than the British.

Default Merc:

That is an interesting possibility, if difficult to prove. I believe that many of the Free French forces were armed with British equipment, and, later, U.S. gear. Still, a not-unlikely explanation.

mhb - Mike
    Last edited by mhb; 09-28-2016 at 02:19.
    Sancho! My armor!

8. Default

When the French opened the boxes they were clueless on what to do with the flags. The manual coin counting machines were also probably something which could have been removed from the boxes before shipment....

The French units were armed using U.S. Tables of Equipment and Organization. Thus US flags and coin counting machines. Sorry, just thought that was amusing.

Britain agreed to supply a certain percentage of the stuff France needed with the rest coming from the U.S.. Given that Brownings were the machine guns of choice, rifles in .30-06 were indicated. Those were supplied by the Brits: M-1917 rifles. 167,000 were provided before Brit stocks were running at levels that they didn't want to provide more. M-1903s were provided after that. First shipment from the Brits was 8,000 delivered in January of 1943.

Backtrack earlier. The French were using, in addition to whatever French and Italian rifles they could lay their hands on, 19,000 captured German Mausers.

There is a very small window in between those two. The 1st Free French Division was provided .303s until the M-1917s arrived. Not many and not for long. Still that window exists.

I have no idea what that marking is but it "French" is probably unlikely.

Quel fromage!

mhb - Mike
    Sancho! My armor!

I have no idea what that marking is but it "French" is probably unlikely.
    It's also unlikely that wartime rifles dropped to the French would be returned for FTR and sent back to France to be marked.
    Unlikely...but not absolutely entirely 110% impossible. We are talking Enfields and have been taught to never say never
    Last edited by JB White; 09-28-2016 at 02:27.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**