Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Model 1895 Winchester-Lee arrived - pictures

I got my Winchester-Lee this morning, and although I'm still looking over (I haven't even STARTED to learn much yet!) but thought you'd like some pictures. I do know it was the second group of 5,000 ordered later in production and is one of the last ones manufactured for the Navy, if I'm not mistaken.

Very few if any markings...inspected by Navy Lt. John N. Jones, that I know.

Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 09-26-2016 at 04:25.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

A few more pictures, including a "group portrait of three other rifles from the same period -

1) Model 1896 Krag carbine
    2) Model 1896 Krag rifle
    3) Model 1895 Winchester 30-40 rifle
    4) The Model 1895 Winchester-Lee

Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 09-26-2016 at 04:26.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    A few more pictures, including a "group portrait of three other rifles from the same period -

1) Model 1896 Krag carbine
    2) Model 1896 Krag rifle
    3) Model 1895 Winchester 30-40 rifle
    4) The Model 1895 Winchester-Lee

They all look great! May I have dibs on the both 1895s when you are down and out in the gutter wondering where you will find the money for one more bottle of Dom Perignon? Of course you could sell the Amazing Technocolor Dream Afghan for big money.

And the front site hood is on backwards. All you need to do is turn it 180. Does the bolt release work correctly? One of mine has a worn bolt release and I have not found a replacement. Looks like I will have to get a new one made.

Are you thinking of a reproduction sling? Maybe?
    Last edited by CJCulpeper; 09-26-2016 at 04:35.
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

LOL!!

I confess I haven't figured out (or tried to) take the bolt out, so I couldn't answer your question. Was pretty sure the front sight protector was on backwards. I assume you have to loosen or remove the two small screws to take it off?

Yes, looking at a repro (from S&S) lower butt swivel. Got a source for a sling? I read in one of the accounts that the Model 1887 was used on some of the later ones.

The Model 1895 Winchester was a rifle I picked up 3-4 years ago. Not a military rifle, but even the Russian "muskets" ain't cheap. I don't care for the Winchester lever actions, but, for some reason, the Model 1895s have always fascinated me.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 09-26-2016 at 04:51.
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default

LOL!!

I confess I haven't figured out (or tried to) take the bolt out, so I couldn't answer your question. Was pretty sure the front sight protector was on backwards. I assume you have to loosen or remove the two small screws to take it off?

Yes, looking at a repro (from S&S) lower butt swivel. Got a source for a sling? I read in one of the accounts that the Model 1887 was used on some of the later ones.

The Model 1895 Winchester was a rifle I picked up 3-4 years ago. Not a military rifle, but even the Russian "muskets" ain't cheap. I don't care for the Winchester lever actions, but, for some reason, the Model 1895s have always fascinated me.
    There are two ways to open the bolt. One is pulling the trigger on a loaded or empty chamber. The other way is the lower of the two levers on the left side of the receiver. Pushing it down releases the bolt. The other is the bolt stop. This is all spelled out in the Lee Manual.

Original Swing swivel here. Jeez. Do I need to do everything around this place?

I already have a sling for one of my guns. The 1887 sling does not look like the original W-L sling that I got with the low number rifle. Get the repro then you don't have to worry about dinking it up.

That is the reason I bought my 95 Musket. It has a certain cool factor.
    Last edited by CJCulpeper; 09-26-2016 at 10:38.
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

The Lee manual will be one of my first "additional" purchases. As I'm mechanically all thumbs, I don't like to mess with something I'm unfamiliar - that bolt looks a little imposing, for right now!

A 1895 Musket would be neat, but just a little out of my league, financially. Had to sell two rifles to buy this one.
    --C.S. Lewis

7. Default

The sling swivel is placed in the hole at the front of the hand guard and not in the lower rear position.

Am reseaching a picture of a rifle with the sling in place.

ADDED

Download the Lee Manual and on pdf page 14 for proper configuration.
    Last edited by CJCulpeper; 09-26-2016 at 05:46.

8. Default

The Lee manual will be one of my first "additional" purchases. As I'm mechanically all thumbs, I don't like to mess with something I'm unfamiliar - that bolt looks a little imposing, for right now!

A 1895 Musket would be neat, but just a little out of my league, financially. Had to sell two rifles to buy this one.
    No need to purchase. Just down load the two pdfs from forgottenweapons. I own the original commercial handbook.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-c...Lee-manual.pdf
    http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-c...eehandbook.pdf

Two rifles well spent. You will never go rong with a winchester.
    Last edited by CJCulpeper; 09-26-2016 at 10:44.

Thanks for the tip on the manual download!
    --C.S. Lewis

I saw the pictures on FB. Indeed a beautiful thing Rick!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo