Default K98 Original Cleaning Rod

I am looking to purchase a original cleaning rod (not a reproduction) for the K98 I recently purchased. The rifle is currently all matching, but I realize that it is unlikely that I will find a cleaning rod with matching numbers. My K98 was manufactured by Sauer & Sohn in 1940. My question is what length cleaning rod should I be looking for ? I understand that there are two different lengths of rods available. One is 10 1/2 inches long and the other is 12 inches long. Which one would be correct for my rifle. Thanks, Lee Hoffman

You have a K98k. There are two lengths, about 9.5 and 12.5. The 12" was adopted in 1940 so your rifle is right on the border, could be either. Use a stiff wire, run down the rod hole till it hits bottom and mark it at middle of front sight band, pull out, measure. Simple! Or move rear band forward and if you see a oblong piece of metal in stock on bottom, if so, it is a 9.5".
    Good luck on an original, likely will not have any serial on it for that late a rifle and repro's are very difficult to tell from original.
    Last edited by dave; 09-25-2016 at 08:42.
    You can never go home again.

OK, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info. I am confused that you identified my 1940 as a late K98. I don't know much about K98s, but I thought that it was an early one.
    Again. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by leecork View Post
    OK, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info. I am confused that you identified my 1940 as a late K98. I don't know much about K98s, but I thought that it was an early one.
    Again. thanks.
    I meant 'late' as far as lack of cleaning rod serials. Actually they were made from 1935 into 1945, many changes over those years, so yours was really middle of production. They quit serials on the rods fairly early, before yours I think, never saw a date on this. That's what I was referring to. Also the rods were invariably mixed up when in use as it took several soldiers to contribute a section to make one long enough. So I would not worry about a m/m rod, if it does have a serial. I have never seen a matched rod on a K98k and very few with even a number.
    Last edited by dave; 09-26-2016 at 12:05.

Great question and answers! I inherited a "bring back" K98 (all matching, 1940, excellent condition except for stock dings) that has a "short" cleaning rod. I always thought it was missing an additional section.

So how is the barrel cleaned with a short rod; from both ends?

As I said above, several soldiers took their "short" rods and screwed them together to make a rod long enough. The barrel is 24" plus receiver length so you would need 4 or more 9" rods to clean from the breach or 3 or more 12". There was always the 'pull thru' in the cleaning case for emergency use.
    Your rod IS threaded in the patch end, right?
    The reason they were moved and lengthened was the place the 9" rod screwed into weakened the stock at that point, breakage occurred. WW1 G.98 rods were about 15", rifles has 30 " barrels.
    Last edited by dave; 09-27-2016 at 09:55.