Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A nostalgic look at service rifle shooting at camp perry, ohio

A NOSTALGIC LOOK AT SERVICE RIFLE SHOOTING AT CAMP PERRY, OHIO

I started shooting Highpower Rifle matches in 1962. The Elbridge Rod and Gun Club had loaner M1 Rifles and corrosive .30 M2 ammo for practice. My first 500 yard match was fired that year at Ft. Smith, New York. I used a 1903-A3 Remington rifle in the "LEG" match, that I bought from the DCM for $36.95 delivered (new). As I remember, we fired on the 5V targets. As individuals, we were allowed to buy additional .30 M2 Ball ammo from the DCM through the local Ordnance Depot. I drove my 1955 Cadillac to Romulus New York, to the Seneca Ordnance Depot. The 400 round cans of boxed .30 M2 Ball were priced at $12.00 per can. The ammo was Saint Louis Ordnance Depot manufactured in 1943. The must have had a bazillion rounds of the stuff. My 1955 Caddy was so loaded down, I thought the springs would break.

We also bought M1 Carbines for $20.00 and the ammo was $24.00 for the Spam can of 800 rounds in the clips and bandoleers. Parts were also available for the 1903 and M1 rifles. Such as new 03 barrels for $.99 and new 1903 bolts for $.12.

When I lived in New York, I never had the opportunity to attend the National Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio. My Highpower shooting went dormant as I raised a Family. I moved to Mississippi and joined the Southwest Gun Club in McComb, MS. In 1978, I found out we could be issued .22 rf Target Rifles and M1 Rifles from the DCM. We were also issued ammunition for these rifles. We received 6 rebuilt M1 rifles from Rock Island Arsenal in the Fall of 1978. Individuals that participated in our club M1 shoots could buy their own M1 from the DCM for $112.00 delivered. The M1 I received was a Springfield also from Rock Island Arsenal. It was a rebuild that had never been fired. We sent our rifles to a former US Army armorer named "Hook' Bowden in Columbus, GA. He accurized them for $80.

After we had the rifles accurized I arraigned several Marine (Mike Ewing) and US Army marksman to come to our club and give us training in service rifle shooting. A group of us purchased M1A rifles and had them accurized by Dennis Barger
    In 1985, the Southwest Gun Club went to Camp Perry as a team. Eight Seniors and eight Junior shooters. The Seniors fired their own M1A rifles and the Junior shooters were able to draw a NM M14 from the armory. We brought our NM M1 rifles as backup.

camp perry team 1986.jpg

1985 SW Gun Club Team at Camp Perry

Camp Perry is something EVERY shooter should experience. There were over 1500 competitors there for the US Army Matches in 1984. The History and Tradition of the range is something that overwhelmed me. To know that men like Morris Fisher, Pop Farr and Carlos Hathcock fired on the same range was inspiring. Also, every range is named for a Medal of Honor winner. All of them Posthumously awarded.

We attended the Small Arms Firing School. All the participants at the Camp Perry DCM Matches had to attend the SAFS. They had the regular SAFS and the Advanced SAFS.

The DCM used to give Clubs and State Associations match grade ammo to practice for the next year's matches. The Clubs got .30 M72 Match and the Associations got 7.62 NATO M118 Match ammo. IN 1984, we were issued 29,000 rounds of .30 M72 Match ammo by Frankford Arsenal. In 1985, we were issued 28,000 rounds but it was made at Lake City. After these years we received 12,000 rounds of .30 M2 Ball, .30 M1 Ball and .22 rf ammunition for training.

We used this ammunition to build up our club's program and train new shooters and Junior shooters. We opened our HP range in Mississippi in 1985 after the range we had in Amite, LA was closed due the encroachment of civilization.

Due to health problems, my days of being competitive in Service rifle shooting are over but I will always remember the six trips I took to Camp Perry in the 1980's. I attended Camp Perry the first time as a member of the Mississippi Association Team in 1983. As I said, shooting at Camp Perry is an experience all shooters should have.

If you notice the photograph of our team. There are 5 boys looking down in the dumps. There is a girl shooter who is elated. The boys met with me the day before and told me they did not want a girl on their team. I told them, we would use the top 6 shooters who fired in the President's Match. They agreed. She beat all the boys in our club in the Preident's Match and did the same in the Team Match. Hence the smile and the frowns.

Doug Bowser
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DougBowser; 09-19-2016 at 08:38.

2. Default

WHAT i miss is the sound of carbide lamps being struck and the smell of the Match ammo cans when they are opened

I've been shooting at Camp Perry every year for the last five years now. I started after being invited to join an "On-Line" friend shooting Krags in the Vintage Match, and on a whim, borrowed my Dad's Garand and shot in that match as well. Well, I was bitten hard by this bug, and I've shot every year since with that same friend... and loved every single minute of it! I still shoot the Krag, as well as my own Garand, 1903A3, and a few other "Vintage" rifles as well! I also shoot in local (Michigan) CMP Matches too. My son has also started shooting in the local matches and Camp Perry (I tried to get my brother interested, but he isn't really interested... although he now has Dad's Garand Rifle).

As you said Doug... EVERYONE should experience Camp Perry at least once!

Cheers
    Paul
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

If, i had to use one of this tecky generations' wordages, it would be bucket list... Since i 'am' old school, it's my 'dream / goal' to shoot Camp Perry at least once before Jesus takes me home...
    bombdog, out...
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

Blog Entries

Well written and well said Mr. Bowser.

let me ressurect this thread!

it is now 3 years later. the old leaky, cracked floor, asbestos sided huts are GONE! in their place are new insulated, epoxy coated floored, energy efficient windows/doors and even A/C huts of the same size with new bunk beds, lockers and enough electrical capacity to run a refer and a micro and probably a coffee pot all at once...

the modules (no idea when they were built and installed) are all torn out due to mold issues. there is a newer barracks building standing with 4-person rooms and community baths on each of the 2 floors. they are very nice...

commercial row is getting a little tiresome (ive gone every year since 2002) and a couple of vendors are leaning to the "what once used to be ONLY guns but now include jerky, t-shirts and blankets with wolves and full moon" ware...

the CMP has introduced new matches, mostly the CMP Cup Tournament fired on their exclusive vendor of Kongsberg Target Systems (KTS) E-targets. there are still close to 1300 competitors in the President's Match and the Excellence In Competition matches...

the CMP also holds several air rifle contests at the Gary Anderson Competition Center...

if youve never gone or havent gone in years, its time to make the trip again!

Blog Entries

its time to make the trip again!

had that exact conversation with a friend a few days ago

we last went in 2007

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    had that exact conversation with a friend a few days ago

we last went in 2007
    If you make 2020, we'll have to connect...to remove the troll rumors.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    If you make 2020, we'll have to connect...to remove the troll rumors.
    lol,

and yes, meet up would be in order,

10. Default

I m surprised to learn that you were able to fire in a LEG MATCH with an 03A3 in 1962. By this time the US Rifle M1 was the Service Rifle as designated by AR 920-30. The regulation controls the firing of National Trophy matches and EIC Matches references the NRA High Power Rifles Rules which indicates that the service rifle is covered by NRA rule 3.1. Here are excerpts from My 1961 Rule Book.

https://imgur.com/oxox5Ca

https://imgur.com/wIMHC1Z

From the Match Bulletin

https://imgur.com/fSEvxL5

https://imgur.com/bb2IOxd

I have my match bulletins from a 1962 Regional during which a LEG Match was fired. I used my 1962 NM M1 and we were issued ammo at the firing line. It was M72 Match FA 61. At that tie some Italian built M1's were being imported but were disallowed as they were pt "as issued by the Ordnance Department

FWIW
    Last edited by Cosine26; 09-21-2019 at 01:51. Reason: Added content