Default German 1883 reichsrevolver

GERMAN 1883 REICHSREVOLVER
    In 1879 the German Army standardized their official sidearm. The German Army used the Reichsrevolvers until the end of World War 1, even though the Pistole 1908 was already adopted. It is a single action revolver in 10.6x25R caliber. The cartridge case is identical to the .44 Russian but the German version is loaded to lower pressure. Even though the revolver is a single action, there is no ejector rod provided. A small rod was issued in the cartridge pouch to push out the empty cases. Another unusual feature is the revolver has a safety mounted on the left side.

GRR 1883.JPGGRR 1883b.JPG

1883 German Reichsrevolver

I purchased one of the Reichsrevolvers. It was the model 1883. The only difference between the 1879 and 1883 versions was the 1889 had a shorter barrel. The revolver I had was in Antique fine condition with as new chambers and bore. The action was tight and in time.

GRR 1883d.jpg

Photo of the left side of the revolver showing the safety lever

I never fired the revolver and kept it for several years. I decided to sell it and offered it for sale on the internet. A lawyer in Paris named Jarre contacted me and said he had been looking for a good example of the German revolver for over 15 years. We made financial arraignments and I shipped it to him in Paris. There is no restriction on shipping firearms manufactured on or before 1898. I was able to ship it to him from our local US Post Office. He had some red tape on his end but t was minor and he received the revolver and was very happy with the purchase. He reported to me on the firing of the revolver. He said, the revolver was as accurate as any modern revolver. I wish I could keep all the interesting firearms I have dealt with. I have to keep the number down to the firearms used by me at my gun club. I know most of my friends have never seen one of these revolvers and I hope this article will be of interest to them.

GRR 1883f.JPG

Cylinder of the Reichsrevolver showing the condition of the chambers

GRR 1883h.JPG

The bore on this revolver was NRA excellent

Very interesting piece, thanks for sharing.

Interesting post. Thanks for the pictures and the story. I was unaware that such
    a revolver existed. Mike

that has to be the nicest one I've ever seen.

I did not realize that you could bring a pistol into a US post office. Antiques are exempt?

Quote Originally Posted by bnrg View Post
    I did not realize that you could bring a pistol into a US post office. Antiques are exempt?
    01FFL dealers can bring handguns into the USPO if they are wrapped. The same goes for any citizen with a handgun made before 1899.
    Last edited by DougBowser; 06-05-2017 at 10:13.