Thread: SNOWDEN

Default SNOWDEN

I must admit to being somewhat conflicted about this movie. It's quite entertaining and paints a very friendly picture of Snowden as a patriotic Army recruit who busted out of basic because of a fractured tibia, weakened by carrying a 70 Lb. ruck. A whiz kid at computers he was quickly snatched up by CIA.

There is no doubt that in the end he wrongly exposed top secret information, but, equally well, the Administration over-reached with its spying on American citizens, many of whom may have only been dissidents. Even now, the words I write may be being read by an NSA guy behind a computer.

I think we all know now how fragile our privacy has become against many who probe our lives electronically.

This is a fine, interesting movie, well acted and entertaining. I still feel that he emerges at the end as a man who, if not a traitor, was at best a well intentioned man not suited to his work which often ended in death for others, and troubled by the fact that not all of them were guilty of being terrorists.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 09-18-2016 at 06:08.

I have always been amazed by those who hate Snowden as a traitor to our government. @#$^ the government. It is the people, and the constitution meant to protect them, that we should all focus our loyalty on. So for me, it is a question of what was worse. That the government is becoming more and more of a threat, or that he let foreign governments see how terrible our government is by showing them what they already knew? For me, the danger from within is a greater threat than the danger presented by foreign governments finding out nothing of great value to them.
    I think Snowden felt his actions had a benefit to the people.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Snowden's a f*cking traitor. At least 14 people have been executed so far as a result of his treason. If you find my perspective amazing, perhaps you should put yourself in the position of those who are currently protecting our country.

agree!

Most of the documents Snowden stole had nothing to do with privacy. The apologists like Oliver Stone should have titled that Propaganda movie "Snowjob".
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

If I wanted to know about Snowden, I wouldn't go to the movie. Movies make heroes or villans according to the director and producer's prejudices and play fast and loose with facts. Oliver Stone is a particularly bad example -- see "JFK" for a typical Snow Job.