Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LC Blanks - VFW

Default LC Blanks - VFW

Hi,
    A couple of questions:

Are LC Blank Cal. .30 M1909 cartridges corrosive? Box is marked LC-11E778-005 (head stamp LC 71).

We present fired cases to NOK with the flag, and I noticed a case that was split at the top and nicked on the rim. It was marked AMA 81, while all of the others are LC 71. I counted crimps and it is a blank. Any comments?

I'm tearing down our rifles (M1's) one at a time. They are for our VFW Honor Guard. Lots of work. It's been a long time since they were torn down for cleaning and I'm doing the ones that need the most work first. The CMP has been great - sending parts for them. A problem has been that the gas cyl's. are too loose. I'm waiting to hear from the CMP about that, as I won't be peening them. Some of the rifles still have original leather slings (steel hooks), but they are dried out and not really serviceable for use any more. I'm converting to new issue cotton web slings - looks nice with our dress green uniforms.

Thanks,

Dave

Blog Entries

Corrosive primers have not been produced in the US since the early 50's. The rifles would have rusty bores and op rods if they were.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

3. Default

True, but you still need to regularly clean out and service these ceremonial rifles. The gas system can get crudded up and cause mis-functions. I had to thoroughly scrub and rebuild 8 AL rifles a while back. And yes, the op rods were corroded on the forward end, some to the point of being dangerous! I surmise that even if there is not corrosive ammo NOW, they could have been exposed in the past.

Several years ago I attended a funeral for a fellow in our parish who served in Korea. The honor guard used M1's and I noticed one rifle was rather fussy. After the service I spoke to the fellow and then looked over the rifle, which, by the way, was a sister to an HRA I have! Anyway, something didn't feel right so I told him I had to go home, get some parts and I'd meet him at the VFW. When I broke the rifle down, it was filthy, the spring was broken. I gave him a new SS one I got from a known fellow to most of us, and we went outside and tested it. Worked perfectly. I asked to trade another rifle for his but no doing. Left then a few spare parts, just in case and suggested they detail clean the rifles. They couldn't get any parts from the Army. Go figure.

I take care of 8 Garands for our Honor Guard. The blanks you mentioned are not corrosive but they are filthy. I can't say I get them cleaned after every funeral but they don't go more than 2.

As a side note all 8 are Pre WW2 or WW 2 Springfield receivers except one Korean War Springfield. All had Danish replacement stocks on them. One was in pretty bad shape and has been replaced with a CMP Stock.

We used 4 M1's and 2 '03s at a funeral on Sat. I sure have lots of work to do. One of the M1's is missing a front sight and 2 look dry. Both of the 03's are MK I's and both need to have the stocks stripped and oiled. I hate that poly or shellac they put on years ago. They need to be steamed also. I'm trying to get the VFW to spring for repro fleece lined Garand cases to go to the cemeteries. No point in my steaming dents if they beat the h___ out of them on the way out and back. Not throwing stones - some of our HG are way up in years, but still serve.

They can contact Jennifer S at the CMP for parts. They have a list of parts that are available for the VFW, AL etc. Online, the link is under Sales and Services, then support for Veteran's groups. The Army only supply's blanks.

Blog Entries

I'd get a hard plano case that holds two rifles at the same price as a repo soft case for one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/580...-polymer-black
    Last edited by PhillipM; 09-19-2016 at 08:19.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Thanks Phil, I just added the info to present to the Honor Guard for a decision.

A particular Legion post I serviced the rifles for the biggest issue was the crappy blank rounds. Very erratic, some worked fine but a majority were either duds or squibs, sometimes barely opened the crimp. This caused much consternation with their HG. when all six rifles went "click".